Wichita Public Schools is seeking qualified applicants for the following position(s):
Special Education - Interrelated Teacher
Location: Samuel E Spaght Elementary Magnet
Position Function: This position plans, leads, facilitates and provides instruction for maximum student learning in the Interrelated Classroom providing appropriate curriculum to identified special education students. Meets established outcomes based on student's individual education plan (IEP) and capacity to master learning objectives. Provides activities designed to create interest and enthusiasm for personal grasp of knowledge.
Essential Performance Responsibilities: Plans Instruction:
- Participates on pre-assessment teams to determine necessity for comprehensive student evaluation; initiates, schedules and attends IEP meetings' works with multi-disciplinary team to diagnose need; structures/implements IEP for each student identified
- Defines, structures, and communicates daily expectations according to IEP including but not limited to course goals, objectives, learning methods and activities
- Communicates with regular education staff members on course instructional and meditative strategies and objectives, students' grasp of material and their outcomes and perspectives for applications of materials learned
- Receives and reports grades, in-puts student data via computer, negotiates schedules and communicates with all pertinent participants: administration, parents, staff, students, etc.
- Controls classroom and individual behavior; adapts and adjusts course content and reading levels to specify skills to be taught; discerns means of building memory and study skills; and assists individual students in achieving academic, daily living and social skills, learning objectives by working with them individually and in small groups
- Presents various listening and learning opportunities appropriate to each student's IEP including by not limited to lecture, VCR, TV, support of regular classroom teachers and other presentations and/or opportunities inside or outside
- Prepares, displays events and reinforcement activities which encourage participation.
Evaluates and Communicates
- Plans assessments for evaluation to include but not limited to various diagnostic techniques: standardized survey and criterion-referenced test; teacher developed oral and written tests; student personal indices (effort, potential, interests, memory)
- Designs subject-based reinforcement to follow assessments and student's learning objectives (computer, lab activities, working independently or on group projects, field/community reinforcement.)
- Designs a grading system which encourages motivation and participation; collects and enters student data in computer from charts and observations and reports progress in growth and development regularly as required
Manages the Classroom:
- Designs classroom rules for student interaction (courtesy and respect for belongings, space and ideas), self control, working independently, appropriately gaining the floor, and accepting reminders from teacher; designs systems for handling all behavior (from simple infractions to severe behavior)
- Prepares physical condition of classroom to reflect seasons and subject matter to facilitate student learning
- Keeps daily records on but not limited to student attendance, learning and social needs, assignments, assessments and discipline; supervises paraprofessional(s)
- Manages all job duties with the mobility, agility, dexterity and focused observation necessary to adequately perform the essential duties, as described above
Additional Duties: - Participates in teacher committee work and attends teacher meetings
- Daily lunch activities as assigned
- Prepares and/or escorts students to travel to special classes as required
- Supervises bus loading and unloading as required
- Attends programs and events related to school
Equipment: This position may require the ability to use SMART boards and iPads in addition to basic office equipment such as computers, copiers, scanners, and fax machine. Must always comply with USD 259’s guidelines for equipment use.
Travel: Limited travel between schools and central offices may be required.
Physical and Mental Demands, Work Hazards: - Occasional lifting up to 20 lbs.
- Occasional carrying up to 20 lbs.
- Pushing/pulling up to 20 lbs. for distances of up to more than 100 feet
- Frequent reaching below waist, occasional reaching waist to shoulder, and limited overhead reaching
- Frequent sitting
- Frequent standing/walking
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities: :
- Ability to work with diverse populations
- Exhibit a professional manner and a positive attitude
- Ability to plan, organize, make decisions and prioritize to meet deadlines
- Ability to communicate effectively both verbally and in writing and be detail and quality oriented
Interrelations: - Contact with personnel within the district and with customers and vendors
- Will be working under the direct supervision of the department supervisor in order to complete day to day tasks
- Will be working with a diverse population requiring the ability to handle all situations with tact and diplomacy
- Must understand and respond appropriately to customer needs and maintain a positive attitude with all customers and colleagues
- Expected to interact with all internal and external customers in a friendly, professional manner and provide quick, responsive customer service
Employee Punctuality and Appearance: • In order for schools to operate effectively, employees are expected to perform all assigned duties and work all scheduled hours during each designated workday, unless the employee has received approved leave
• Any deviation from assigned hours must have prior approval from the employee’s supervisor or building administrator
• All employees are required to report to work dressed in a manner that reflects a positive image of USD 259 and is appropriate for their position
Qualification Profile: - Kansas Teaching License - Adaptive. Required.
- Master’s in special education or Enrolled in a Special Ed Degree program with plan of study on file with District and Special Ed Waiver obtained
- Prior teaching experience preferred
- Primary teachers must have a KS Teaching license to teach Elementary K-9
FSLA Status: Exempt
If you are interested in submitting your application to this position click on
the "Apply Now" button above. You must register with Eduation America Network to complete the application process.
Registration is free and only takes a few minutes. You will be asked to verify you email address. Once your email address
is verified and you complete the registration process you will be able to apply to this and other jobs posted on Education
The job posting above from Wichita Public Schools may require
certification levels, qualifications or eligibility requirements for
being employed in the United States or the state of Kansas. Please read the
carefully! DO NOT apply or send unsolicited resumes if you do not meet the
requirements listed by Wichita Public Schools in their postings.
Please quote the Education America Network
in your application to this job