Waterbury Public Schools is seeking qualified applicant for the following position(s):
World Language - Japanese Teacher
Location: Maloney Magnet School
GENERAL STATEMENT OF DUTIES The Japanese language teacher at Maloney Interdistrict Magnet School will teach Japanese language and culture to multiple grade levels PreK-5 using the target language 95-100% of instructional time. This person is responsible for collaborating with Japanese teacher colleagues, creating lesson plans and materials, and using technologies to enhance instruction. Duties include but are not limited to writing student progress reports, holding various special events, encouraging parent involvement and promoting the Japanese language program both within and beyond the school.
SPECIFIC EXAMPLES OF DUTIES 1. Teach 7-10 classes of Japanese language per day in multiple grades Prek-5. Classes range from 20-40 minutes in length.
2. Create lessons that are engaging, culturally-relevant and related to regular classroom content, following the established Japanese Language and Culture Curriculum and keeping with the national Standards for Foreign Language Learning and the CT World Languages Framework.
3. Assess and report on progress for 250+ students per year. Administer yearly extended oral/written assessments for second/fifth graders.
4. Organize various parent-involvement events and other international events such as pen pal projects, native speaker visits, International Education Conference, etc.
5. Use a set of iPod Nanos, student laptops, interactive whiteboard, iPads, and any other newly available technology to enhance language instruction.
6. Correspond with parents and students via the Japanese program website, brochures, email, letters, and other teacher-created materials.
7. Participate in school-wide events, faculty meetings, committees, etc.
8. Perform all required duties of an elementary school teacher as described in the WTA Contract.
MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS 1. Bachelorís Degree in Japanese Language or closely related field.
2. *Connecticut Certification to teach Japanese language in the elementary school (024/101) or CT elementary school certification, or ability to qualify for a Durational Shortage Area Permit for Japanese language.
3. Experience teaching Japanese language and/or working with elementary school-level children preferred.
4. Knowledge of PowerPoint, iTunes, Web 2.0 resources, and website maintenance preferred. Familiarity with interactive white board use also preferred.
According to WTA Contract, salary commensurate with experience.
If you are interested in submitting your application to this position click on
the "Apply Now" button above. You must register with Eduation America Network to complete the application process.
Registration is free and only takes a few minutes. You will be asked to verify you email address. Once your email address
is verified and you complete the registration process you will be able to apply to this and other jobs posted on Education
The job posting above from Waterbury Public Schools may require
certification levels, qualifications or eligibility requirements for
being employed in the United States or the state of Connecticut. Please read the
carefully! DO NOT apply or send unsolicited resumes if you do not meet the
requirements listed by Waterbury Public Schools in their postings.
Please quote the Education America Network
in your application to this job