Job Title: PARAEDUCATOR
(Note: These positions may require re-assignment to various schools throughout the school year as the need arises.)
Qualifications: 1. Must hold an Associate’s Degree (or)
Have completed a minimum of 48 semester hours of study at a regionally accredited institution of higher education (or)
Have successfully completed the Alabama State Board of Education approved WORKKEYS test.
2. Good physical and emotional health, including ability to lift as well as to implement a behavioral management program with students of varying ages and sizes.
3. Effective interpersonal communication skills.
4. Such alternatives to the above qualifications as the Board of Education may find appropriate and acceptable.
Reports To: Principal/Assigned Teacher
Job Goal: To provide support to the instructional program within assigned classrooms with specific responsibility for assisting in the supervision, care and instruction of students with special needs; assisting in implementing plans for instruction; monitoring student behavior; and providing information to appropriate school personnel.
Performance Responsibilities: 1. Adapts classroom activities, assignments and/or materials under the direction of a supervising teacher (e.g. reinforcement of individualized education program (IEP) goals and objectives, etc.) for the purpose of supporting and reinforcing classroom objectives as well as providing an opportunity for all students receiving special services to participate in classroom activities.
2. Provides, under the supervision of assigned teacher, instruction to students in a variety of individual and group activities (e.g. math groups, science experiments, reading, behavioral skills, daily living skills, writing, verbal skills, sensory room activities, social skills training, etc.) for the purpose of reinforcing instructional objectives; implementing individual plans; and enhancing opportunities for all students to succeed.
3. Supports teachers in the administration of tests as well as completion or review of school work.
4. Assists medically fragile students with physical disabilities for the purpose of maintaining students’ personal hygiene.
5. Assists students with special needs in the areas of grooming, community accessibility and other appropriate areas (that is feeding, brushing teeth, toileting, diapering, transferring students using wheelchairs to and from bus and activities incorporated in the daily routine as assigned by the supervising teacher) for the purpose of assisting students with their individual needs.
6. Attends meetings and in-service presentations (e.g. emergency procedures, training modules, system & local professional development, etc.) for the purpose of gaining information relative to job functions.
7. Collaborates with supervising teacher(s) or other staff as assigned for the purpose of communicating information, resolving issues, and providing services in compliance with established guidelines.
8. Confers with teachers (special education and/or inclusion teacher) on a regular basis for the purpose of accountability and assisting in evaluating student progress and/or implementing IEP objectives.
9. Implements, under the supervision of assigned teacher, behavioral intervention plans (BIP) for the purpose of presenting and/or reinforcing learning skills, concepts, strategies, etc.
10. Maintains materials for the purpose of ensuring students are prepared for instruction.
11. Monitors students with special needs across all settings (e.g. classroom, field trips, lunchroom, playground, during life enrichment activities, etc.) for the purpose of providing a safe and positive learning environment.
12. Performs record keeping, data collection and clerical functions (e.g. checking papers, maintaining daily logs, etc.) for the purpose of supporting the teacher in providing necessary records/materials.
13. Responds to emergency situations (e.g. students that are: running, fighting, displaying inappropriate behavior, etc.) for the purpose of resolving immediate safety concerns.
14. Maintain confidentiality.
15. Be regular and punctual in attendance.
16. Maintain proper and professional relationships with students and other employees.
17. Perform duties in a manner that will promote good public relations.
18. Assume other duties as assigned by supervisor.
Essential Functions: 1. Capable of being trained in the Shelby County Board of Education approved behavioral management program (e.g. Managing Crisis Safely (MCS))
2. The usual and customary methods of performing the job's functions require the following physical demands: significant lifting, carrying, pushing, and/or pulling; and significant fine motor dexterity. Generally, the job requires extended periods of walking and standing. The job is performed under conditions with exposure to risk of injury and/or illness.
3. Adequate physical mobility including, but not limited to performing the following functions for students:
a. Transferring from one physical location to another utilizing techniques as directed by the physical therapist
c. Diapering or changing clothing
d. Bathing and other personal hygiene functions
f. Transitioning students from one area to another in wheelchairs or lifts
g. Performing required physical manipulation, as prescribed by a physician, or recommended by a physical or an occupational therapist
h. Care and cleaning of equipment
i. Transitioning students to and from class
j. Facilitating recreational activities
k. Others as specified by teacher or principal
Terms of Employment: 187-day contract.
Evaluation: Performance of this job will be evaluated in accordance with provisions of the Board's policy.
If you are interested in submitting your application to this position click on
the "Apply Now" button above. You must register with Eduation America Network to complete the application process.
Registration is free and only takes a few minutes. You will be asked to verify you email address. Once your email address
is verified and you complete the registration process you will be able to apply to this and other jobs posted on Education
The job posting above from Shelby County Schools may require
certification levels, qualifications or eligibility requirements for
being employed in the United States or the state of Alabama. Please read the
carefully! DO NOT apply or send unsolicited resumes if you do not meet the
requirements listed by Shelby County Schools in their postings.
Please quote the Education America Network
in your application to this job