Special Education Assistants
Student Services Coordinator
School / Org:
Shelby County Schools
No. of Positions:
Thursday, 21 September 2017
Open Until Filled
Shelby County Schools is seeking qualified applicants for the following position(s):
Location: Division of Student Support
Purpose and Scope: The essential function of the position within the organization is to assist in the prevention and intervention of disruptive and at-risk behavior of students by facilitating behavioral services to students, families and educational staff. The position is responsible for coordinating diagnostic, education and therapeutic services; assisting teachers with classroom management skills; providing on-going and crisis counseling and assistance; maintaining records and reports as required, and performing related professional and administrative work as assigned. The position works independently, reporting major activities through periodic meetings.
Essential Job Functions: 1. Plans for the diagnostic, educational and therapeutic service needs of students with emotional/behavior disabilities.
2. Design, implement, monitor and follows up on behavioral intervention/prevention strategies.
3. Identifies and maintains cooperative working relationships with resources and agencies providing services and treatment for children with behavioral/mental health issues.
4. Provides professional development and assistance to teachers of students with emotional/behavioral disabilities in order to strengthen classroom management ability, including but not limited to teaching positive behavior support and verbal de-escalation skills, providing education in mental health issues and medical management issues; collaborates with specialists in other areas to provide comprehensive assistance to teachers and staff members.
5. Observes and reports on classroom management style of teachers and appropriateness of activities provided to ensure provision of a safe and emotionally supportive environment.
6. Facilitates planning meetings of involved teachers, social workers and clinicians as needed.
7. Observes students within the parameters of the classroom/school environment that have been referred because of disruptive or unusual behavior; suggests environmental changes for teachers to institute and implements interventions for students as needed.
8. Responds to crisis situations in a safe and caring manner.
9. Gathers information/data to support periodic and special reports documenting activities for areas of responsibility.
10. Performs clerical/administrative tasks such as preparing reports and correspondence, entering and retrieving computer data, sending and receiving faxes, answering the telephone.
11. Attends or conducts staff or other professional meetings to exchange information; attends professional classes, workshops or conferences to improve professional skills and maintain certifications as required.
12. Performs other duties as assigned or directed.
Minimum Qualifications: Requires education or training equivalent to a bachelorís degree in school psychology, psychology, social work or other related field. Also requires two years of experience.
LICENSES, CERTIFICATIONS, AND REGISTRATIONS REQUIRED: Requires a valid state driver's license.
Degree Equivalency Formula:
Bachelorís Degree= 4 years plus required years of experience.
Masterís Degree= 2 years plus required years of experience. Where Masterís degrees are required, years for Bachelorís degrees must be included.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities: DATA RESPONSIBILITY: Synthesizes or integrates analysis of data or information to discover facts or develop knowledge or interpretations; modifies policies, procedures, or methodologies based on findings.
PEOPLE RESPONSIBILITY: Persuades or influences others in favor of a service, course of action, or point of view.
ASSETS RESPONSIBILITY: Requires minimum responsibility for only small quantities of low cost items or supplies where opportunities for achieving economies or preventing loss are negligible.
MATHEMATICAL REQUIREMENTS: Uses practical application of fractions, percentages, ratios and proportions, measurements, or logarithms; may use algebraic solutions of equations and equalities, deductive geometry, and/or descriptive statistics.
COMMUNICATIONS REQUIREMENTS: Reads professional publications; composes complex reports and manuals; speaks formally to groups outside the organization.
COMPLEXITY OF WORK: Performs coordinating work involving guidelines and rules with constant problem solving; requires continuous, close attention for accurate results or frequent exposure to unusual pressure.
IMPACT OF DECISIONS: Makes decisions with moderately serious impact that could affect work unit as well as other units or citizens.
EQUIPMENT USAGE: Handles equipment or work aids involving some latitude for judgment regarding attainment of standard or in selecting appropriate items.
SAFETY OF OTHERS: Requires responsibility for the safety and health of others and for occasional enforcement of the laws and standards of public health and safety.
Physical Requirements and Working Environment Physical Demands: Requires sedentary work involving standing or walking for brief periods, exerting up to 10 pounds of force on a regular basis; and some dexterity in operating office equipment; must be able to use hands and fingers
Unavoidable Hazards: The position is exposed to no unusual environmental hazards.
Sensory (ADA) Requirements: The position requires normal visual acuity and field of vision, hearing and speaking abilities.
AMERICANS WITH DISABILITIES ACT COMPLIANCE SCS is an Equal Opportunity Employer. SCS provides reasonable accommodations to qualified persons with disabilities. Prospective and current employees are encouraged to discuss ADA accommodations with management.
If you are interested in submitting your application to this position click on
the "Apply Now" button above. You must register with Eduation America Network to complete the application process.
Registration is free and only takes a few minutes. You will be asked to verify you email address. Once your email address
is verified and you complete the registration process you will be able to apply to this and other jobs posted on Education
The job posting above from Shelby County Schools may require
certification levels, qualifications or eligibility requirements for
being employed in the United States or the state of Tennessee. Please read the
carefully! DO NOT apply or send unsolicited resumes if you do not meet the
requirements listed by Shelby County Schools in their postings.
Please quote the Education America Network
in your application to this job