Anchorage School District is seeking qualified applicants for the following position(s):
.6 FTE - Academic English Integrated ELA Teacher, Secondary (2018-19 School Year)
Location: Bartlett High School
Date Available: 08/15/2018
Job Summary: This position requires a valid Alaska Certificate and is represented by the Anchorage Education Association (AEA) union. The number of workdays is established and salary is based upon the AEA negotiated pay scale. Positions which are .50 to 1.0 FTE are in the Alaska Teachersí Retirement System (TRS), positions which are .40 to .49 FTE are in the Alaska Public Employee Retirement System (PERS). Positions which are .39 FTE or less are not eligible for participation in either Alaska retirement system. During the first year of implementation, Academic English Teachers will attend two days of professional development at the beginning of the school year (August 6-7, 2018). *Per diem addenda will be provided for those 2 days.
This position reports to and is evaluated by the site Principal. The Secondary Academic English Integrated ELA Teacher provides integrated language arts and history/social studies instruction which aligns with the ASDís Multi-tiered System of Support (MTSS), Common Core State Standards, culturally responsive practices, and data-based decision making to guide instruction for increased student performance.
The Academic English Integrated ELA Teacher will establish a class environment favorable to learning and personal growth; establish effective rapport with students; motivate students to develop academic and linguistic skills, attitudes and knowledge needed to provide a quality foundation for preparation for college and career readiness; and establish relationships with parents and other staff.
Job Requirements: The following are required:
- Valid Alaska initial, professional, or master teaching certificate.
- Evidence of content knowledge shown by:
a posted degree in the content area of this position; or
a posted minor in the content area of this position; or
passing Praxis Subject Assessments scores (formerly Praxis II) in content area of Language Arts, History or Social Studies.
- Three (3) or more years of successful teaching in secondary content area of Language Arts, History or Social Studies.
- Strong oral and written communication.
The following are preferred:
- Familiarity with MTSS and differentiated instruction.
- Familiarity with Alaska State Standards or Common Core State Standards.
- Familiarity with Positive Behavior Intervention Support.
- Familiarity with project-based experiential, and/or hands-on teaching and learning strategies.
- ESL, EFL, TESOL, or other similar endorsement.
Essential Job Functions: Ongoing professional development will be provided to build capacity of selected applicants. The responsibilities listed below are representative of the essential functions of this position.
- Implements curricula and activities that provide opportunities to progress language development and academic standards including at least one double block of an Academic English Integrated ELA Course for Newcomer students and additional MTSS Tier 2 or 3 courses.
- Sets instructional goals directly aligned to the Alaska State Standards.
- Aligns instruction to the Alaska State Standards for Culturally Responsive Schools.
- Teaches students to work collaboratively to solve problems and to think logically and creatively.
- Uses appropriate questioning and discussion techniques during instruction.
- Makes thoughtful and reflective assessment of lesson effectiveness and adjusts lessons and instructional strategies accordingly.
- Utilizes relevant informational texts to support ELA and Literacy in History/Social Studies standards.
- Provides highly engaging lessons utilizing nationally accepted best practices, differentiated instruction strategies, and hands/on and experiential project-based learning methods.
- Provides innovation and excellence in assignment preparations and implementation.
- Plans instruction that allows for independent/individual study, as well as, small group and large group collaborations.
- Provides students with ample practice time to master standards and language development skills.
- Provides fair, equitable, and inclusive opportunities for all students.
- Creates a classroom of respect and rapport.
- Establishes a culture for learning in the classroom.
- Effectively manages classroom procedures.
- Effectively manages student behavior.
- Demonstrates flexibility and responsiveness to enhance learning.
- Builds trust and positive relationships with students, parents and colleagues.
- Demonstrates knowledge of content and pedagogy appropriate to student population
- Maintains a strong, regular personal attendance record.
- Attends Academic English Professional Development Series (ASD offerings).
- Attends and actively participates in ongoing professional development offered by the ASD.
Physical /Mental Demands: The physical demands of this job require frequent standing, walking, sitting, speaking and hearing. Specific visual abilities are also required. The employee is regularly required to reach with his/her hands and arms and occasionally lift items weighing less than 40 lbs. Additionally, the employee must be able to understand vague and implicit instructions, be able to readily recall facts and details, handle conflict and make effective decisions under pressure. The employee must have the ability to effectively manage the stress of working with students, parents, and other employees representing diverse cultures, personalities, and work styles in a dynamic work environment.
The Anchorage School District is committed to providing reasonable accommodations, according to applicable state and federal laws, to all individuals with a qualified physical or mental disability.
Work Environment: Work is performed in a professional environment with a wide variety of individuals having differing functions, personalities and abilities, including working with diverse groups of people in a variety of different settings.
While performing the duties of this job the employee may be regularly exposed to a video display. The employee may be exposed to outdoor weather conditions. The noise level in the work environment is usually moderate.
Additional Job Information: This job description in no way states or implies that these are the only duties to be performed by the employee(s) in this position. Employees will be required to follow any other job-related instructions and to perform any other job related duties as requested by any person authorized to give instructions or assignments.
Anchorage School District (ASD) employees must possess the ability to read and write in English. This also includes the ability to communicate in English with school staff, co-workers, and the public; as well as have the ability to comprehend and carry out oral and written directions and understand and follow English instructions and written documents.
Offers of employment are contingent upon completion of a satisfactory criminal background check in addition to the background check conducted through the certification process with the Alaska State Department of Education and Early Development (DEED).
This position may be required to work in ASD facilities on the military installations (JBER).
If you are interested in submitting your application to this position click on
the "Apply Now" button above. You must register with Eduation America Network to complete the application process.
Registration is free and only takes a few minutes. You will be asked to verify you email address. Once your email address
is verified and you complete the registration process you will be able to apply to this and other jobs posted on Education
The job posting above from Anchorage School District may require
certification levels, qualifications or eligibility requirements for
being employed in the United States or the state of Alaska. Please read the
carefully! DO NOT apply or send unsolicited resumes if you do not meet the
requirements listed by Anchorage School District in their postings.
Please quote the Education America Network
in your application to this job