Kansas City Kansas Public Schools is seeking qualified applicants for the following position(s):
Special Education Teacher - Special Day School
Job Goal: To teach academic and behavioral skills that will enable students to reach their potential in school and community
Essential Functions: - Advocate for the rights of students with emotional disorders, behavior disorders and mental health needs
- Develop and maintain a positive professional working relationship with students, parents, teachers, staff, administrators and other service providers
- Develop relationships with students who have emotional disorders, behavior disorders and mental health needs
- Collaborate with others and maintain communication with those who work with students
Implement building management plan
- Plan, implement, and monitor classroom management plan including structure (expectations, routines and procedures), motivation, natural consequences, and recognition of desired behavior
- Plan, implement, and monitor instructional programs for the classroom including project based learning, differentiation, and meeting individual student needs as outlined in the IEP
- Plan, implement, and monitor behavior intervention plans
- Plan, implement, and monitor social skills instruction based on individual student need
- Plan, implement, and monitor specially designed instruction to meet the needs of students with a range of learning needs
- Adapt and respond in the moment to individual student need related to mental health and behavior
- Reflect on and adapt instructional and behavioral practices to proactively meet student needs
- Contribute to a supportive, caring, and accepting emotional climate
- Develop and maintain all I.E.Pís in accordance with federal, state and local guidelines
- Monitor student progress on a daily basis and evaluate student performance in preparation for IEP meetings, and quarterly progress reports
- Supervise, evaluate, and train paraprofessionals as assigned
- Request equipment and supplies as necessary to meet student need
- Demonstrate curriculum knowledge and teaching strategies
- Carry out other responsibilities as assigned by the building administrator or special education administrator.
Qualifications: - Meets the employment qualifications set forth by the Kansas City, Kansas Board of Education and the Kansas State Department of Education.
- Kansas teaching certificate in area of instructional responsibility
- Experience with, or willingness to be trained in trauma informed care, de-escalation techniques, conflict resolution, and other best practices to serve students with emotional disorder, behavior disorder or mental health need
- English as a Second Language endorsement preferred or be committed to obtaining that endorsement.
Communication: Maintains communication with teachers, other school personnel, and parents/guardians to enhance cooperative action which will meet the educational needs of students.
Provides health services, information, and counseling in an effective and positive manner to enhance the health and wellness of the school community.
Completes accident/incident reports for students/staff.
Compiles data for statistical purposes.
Maintains confidentiality regarding educational records.
Organization: Maintains a daily log of school/staff visits and documentation
Maintains the daily environment of the health office facility and supplies
Utilizes existing technology effectively in the performance of duties
Performs other related work as required.
Reasoning Ability: Ability to solve practical problems and deal with a variety of concrete variables in situations where only limited standardization exists. Ability to interpret a variety of instructions furnished in written, oral, diagram, or schedule form.
Language Skills: Ability to read and analyze and interpret general professional journals, technical procedures, or governmental regulations. Ability to write reports, general curriculum and learning theories, correspondence, and protocols. Ability to effectively present information and respond to questions from groups of administrators, staff, parents, students, and the general public.
Terms of Employment: 186 days
Salary: Based on KCKPS Salary Schedule
FLSA Status: EXEMPT
Reports To: Principal
Evaluation: Performance will be evaluated in accordance with Board of Education
Primary Location: Fairfax/Bridges
Salary Range: Per Year
Shift Type: Full-Time
If you are interested in submitting your application to this position click on
the "Apply Now" button above. You must register with Eduation America Network to complete the application process.
Registration is free and only takes a few minutes. You will be asked to verify you email address. Once your email address
is verified and you complete the registration process you will be able to apply to this and other jobs posted on Education
The job posting above from Kansas City Kansas Public Schools may require
certification levels, qualifications or eligibility requirements for
being employed in the United States or the state of Kansas. Please read the
carefully! DO NOT apply or send unsolicited resumes if you do not meet the
requirements listed by Kansas City Kansas Public Schools in their postings.
Please quote the Education America Network
in your application to this job