Kansas City Kansas Public Schools is seeking qualified applicants for the following position(s):
Job Goal: In the absence of the classroom teacher, the substitute teacher enables each student to pursue his or her education as smoothly and completely as possible by providing instruction, encouraging student progress and managing the learning environment.
Essential Functions: - Excellent human relations skills.
- Ability to implement 21st Century Skills into the curriculum.
- Skilled and effective in oral and written communication.
- Ability to plan and implement lessons based on substitute plans and the needs and abilities of students.
- Performs all duties assigned to the absent teacher unless excused by the building administrator.
- Maintains, as fully as possible, the established routines and procedures of the school and classroom to which assigned.
- Ability to move around the room in order to effectively monitor student work and behavior.
- Manages the learning environment by handling non-instructional tasks efficiently, using instructional time appropriately, maintaining an effective physical setting for instruction and maintaining appropriate student behavior in the classroom.
- Physical and emotional ability and dexterity to perform required work and move about as needed in the fast-paced, high-intensive work environment.
- Possess the patience, caring and desire needed to work with the students to see that each student has the opportunity to succeed.
- Take attendance and keep attendance registers for regular classroom teacher.
- Maintains accurate, complete and appropriate records and files.
- Conducts assigned classes at the times scheduled.
- Teaches the lesson as prepared by the absent teacher.
- If a physical education teacher, some assignments may require working outdoors in conditions which are moderately comfortable and require adaptation of clothes and dress to the conditions or the use of “sun blockers.”
- If a resource teacher, assist teachers upon their request in the locations assigned.
- If teaching chemistry or certain science classes, ability to use appropriate masks and filters or protective clothing as protections from harmful liquids or fumes.
- Consults with a building administrator or grade level teacher, before initiating any teaching or other procedure not specified.
- Assumes responsibility for overseeing pupil behavior in class and all other areas of the buildings and grounds, as necessary.
- Enforces regulations concerning student conduct and discipline consistent with the Student Code of Conduct Booklet.
- Reports in writing the day’s activities at conclusion of the teaching day.
- Provide supervision of students at all times.
- Adheres to all district rules, regulations and policies.
- Reports all student injuries, accidents, illnesses and discipline problems to the appropriate authority immediately, or as soon as is reasonably possible.
- Participates in professional growth and development activities including staff meetings, and in-service and staff development activities as required or assigned.
- Good knowledge of student growth and development applicable to the grade assigned.
- Ability to work a full duty day in the location or locations assigned.
- Other duties as assigned.
Expectations: - Knowledge of district’s mission, goals and organization.
- If teaching physical education, must possess sufficient strength, dexterity, endurance, agility and skill to carry out the program of studies for the activities to which assigned.
- Dresses in a manner consistent with school policies.
- Reports to the school office upon arrival and performs all check-in procedures as required.
- Follows all district and school policies, rules and procedures to which regular teachers are subject to and what good teaching practice dictates.
- Returns instructional materials, equipment and keys to proper place.
- Takes all necessary and reasonable precautions to protect students, records, equipment, and materials.
- Assists in the documentation of student progress by efficiently maintaining and submitting appropriate records and reports, as required.
- Adheres to good safety practices.
- Be courteous and professional at all times.
Qualifications: Successful completion of all KCKPS training to be prepared as a substitute teacher
Minimum of 60 college credit hours, Bachelor degree in any area, or higher degree
Meets the employment qualifications set forth by the Kansas City Kansas Board of Education and the Kansas State Department of Education
Possess a standard substitute license, full teaching license, or emergency sub teaching license issued by the Kansas State Department of Education
Communication: Maintains communication with teachers, other school personnel, and parents/guardians to enhance cooperative action which will meet the educational needs of students.
Provides health services, information, and counseling in an effective and positive manner to enhance the health and wellness of the school community.
Completes accident/incident reports for students/staff.
Compiles data for statistical purposes.
Maintains confidentiality regarding educational records.
Organization: Maintains a daily log of school/staff visits and documentation.
Maintains the daily environment of the health office facility and supplies.
Utilizes existing technology effectively in the performance of duties.
Performs other related work as required.
Reasoning Ability: Ability to solve practical problems and deal with a variety of concrete variables in situations where only limited standardization exists. Ability to interpret a variety of instructions furnished in written, oral, diagram, or schedule form.
Language Skills: Ability to read and analyze and interpret general professional journals, technical procedures, or governmental regulations. Ability to write reports, general curriculum and learning theories, correspondence, and protocols. Ability to effectively present information and respond to questions from groups of administrators, staff, parents, students, and the general public.
Terms of Employment: At-will
Salary: Based on the KCKPS salary schedule for substitute teachers
Reports To: Human Resources Substitute Teacher Administrator and Building Principal
Evaluation: Performance will be evaluated in accordance with established procedure approved by the Board
Primary Location: TBD (to be determined)
Salary Range: Per Day
Shift Type: Part-Time
If you are interested in submitting your application to this position click on
the "Apply Now" button above. You must register with Eduation America Network to complete the application process.
Registration is free and only takes a few minutes. You will be asked to verify you email address. Once your email address
is verified and you complete the registration process you will be able to apply to this and other jobs posted on Education
The job posting above from Kansas City Kansas Public Schools may require
certification levels, qualifications or eligibility requirements for
being employed in the United States or the state of Kansas. Please read the
carefully! DO NOT apply or send unsolicited resumes if you do not meet the
requirements listed by Kansas City Kansas Public Schools in their postings.
Please quote the Education America Network
in your application to this job