Aspen School District is seeking qualified applicants for the following position(s):
Special Education Teacher - Generalist
Location: District Wide
Job Description: Aspen School District seeks a special education generalist for the school year to begin duties August 2018.
Reports to: Special Education Director
Work schedule: As per teaching assignment in keeping with Aspen School District.
Compensation: Certified Salary Schedule of the Aspen School District
Qualifications: - A Bachelors or Masters Degree
- A current Colorado Teaching License with an endorsement as a Special Education Generalist
- Current First Aid/CPR Certification (training provided by District)
- Current Crisis Prevention Institute (CPI) Certification (training provided by District)
Position Summary: The Special Education Generalist creates a learning environment to encourage independence, self-motivation, self-direction, personal empowerment, and self-advocacy of children with disabilities.
Responsibilities: - Create a learning environment characterized by acceptable student behavior and efficient use of time by preparing materials and planning and conducting activities for a balanced program of instruction, demonstration, and work time. Provide students with opportunities to observe, question, and investigate while employing appropriate intervention strategies and practices to maintain student attention and order.
- Employ strategies and techniques during instruction to improve the development of academic skills, language, cognition, and memory to meet the needs of students with a variety of disabilities.
- Use a variety of assessments, including formal and informal assessments, to determine studentsí strengths and areas of need for the purpose of creating an Individualized Education Program for each student.
- Collaborate with regular classroom teachers related service staff, and paraprofessionals to plan and coordinate appropriate services
- As necessary, accommodate and modify instruction to meet the individual studentís needs.
- Case manage and implement the Individualize Education Program for each student on caseload.
- Establish clear objectives for all lessons, units, and projects, clearly communicating instructional plans and objectives to colleagues who also work with individual students.
- Accurately document and report ongoing student achievement using IEP software database and monitoring timelines for compliance with state laws, district policies, and administrative regulations.
- Monitor individual student progress
- Plan and supervise class projects, field trips, visits by guest speakers, or other experiential activities, and guide students in learning from those activities.
- Participate, as appropriate, in the schoolís Response to Intervention/Multi-Tiered Systems of Support process.
- Meet with parents and guardians to discuss their children's progress, to determine their priorities for their children, and establish their resource needs for the purpose of involving them as partners in student learning
Expectations: - Understands the IEP process
- Ability to supervise, instruct, motivate, and problem solve with assigned paraprofessionals as well as other colleagues
- Experience with special populations
- Displays organization, preparation, and punctuality, meeting deadlines and following through on commitments
- Handles disagreements and conflicts in a diplomatic manner, maintaining composure during difficult conflict situations, to prevent decreased effectiveness over time
- Maintains ethics, legal responsibility, and confidentiality
- Develops and maintains rapport and effective relationships with children and adults contacted in the course of work
- Actively contributes to the goals and success of all team members through collaboration, cooperation, and flexibility in team discussions and decision making, giving and receiving constructive feedback
- Stays current on professional knowledge and technical skills through training opportunities and participation in relevant professional committees and organizations
- Formulates goals that include specific, measurable outcomes and develops new goals when current goals have been achieved
- Observes and adheres to district policies and procedures
Essential Environmental Demands: - Mostly clean and comfortable
- May be exposed to body fluids
Essential Physical Requirements: Heavy lifting is required to assist students in ambulation, toileting (including diaper changing) and other personal needs and for management and de-escalation of students with aggressive behaviors.
Supervisory Duties: Trains, provides work direction, assigns, and schedules work for assigned paraprofessionals.
This job description in no way states or implies that these are the only duties to be performed by this employee. The Special Education Generalist will be required to follow any other instructions and to perform any other related duties as assigned by the Special Education Director or appropriate administrator. The Aspen School District reserves the right to update, revise, or change this job description and related duties at any time.
Primary Location: District Wide
Salary Range: $42,000.00 / Salary
Shift Type: Full-Time
If you are interested in submitting your application to this position click on
the "Apply Now" button above. You must register with Eduation America Network to complete the application process.
Registration is free and only takes a few minutes. You will be asked to verify you email address. Once your email address
is verified and you complete the registration process you will be able to apply to this and other jobs posted on Education
The job posting above from Aspen School District may require
certification levels, qualifications or eligibility requirements for
being employed in the United States or the state of Colorado. Please read the
carefully! DO NOT apply or send unsolicited resumes if you do not meet the
requirements listed by Aspen School District in their postings.
Please quote the Education America Network
in your application to this job