Shelby County Schools is seeking qualified applicants for the following position(s):
Assistant Principal - Elementary
Location: Treadwell Elementary
Purpose and Scope: Assist in the overall administration of assigned elementary school within the District. The position is responsible for supervising assigned professional, paraprofessional, administrative and support personnel and assisting with the planning, implementation and evaluation of all programs and operations essential to the operation of a responsive, effective and efficient instructional environment which provides maximum opportunity for student vocational growth and development. The position develops and implements programs within organizational policies; reports major activities to executive level administrators through conferences and reports.
Essential Job Functions: 1. Assists in overseeing the daily operations and administration of assigned elementary school; assumes responsibilities of the Principal in his or her absence.
2. Supervises assigned professional, para-professional, administrative and support staff members, including establishing staffing standards, organizing, selecting or recommending selection, assigning and evaluating work, counseling, disciplining, and terminating or recommending termination; prepares periodic employee performance evaluations.
3. Develops and implements staff training and development programs and opportunities.
4. Assists in planning and implementing school-wide programs, policies, goals and objectives; ensures program and policy adherence to organizational standards and legal regulations.
5. Assists in ensuring that all school and District policies are effectively explained and implemented.
6. Assists in establishing and maintaining plans and actions to accomplish school goals; establishes school calendars and schedules.
7. Assists in the development of long-range facility needs at assigned school; assists in coordinating safety and facility/grounds inspections at the school.
8. Assists with the preparation and management of the school budget; solicits and secures grants for special programs and projects; may direct or assist with the procurement of equipment and supplies.
9. Assists in reviewing and evaluating the instructional program; observes classroom environment and makes recommendations for improvement in instruction and class management as appropriate; establishes and maintains a system of school-wide textbook accountability.
10. Assists in coordinating and implementing required standardized testing programs.
11. Maintains high standards of student conduct and enforces discipline as necessary, complying with due process and rights of students.
12. Provides leadership for and supervision of extracurricular activities as assigned.
13. Coordinates special programs and events as assigned.
14. Receives and responds to inquiries, concerns and complaints from teachers, students and parents; works to resolve administrative, instructional and behavioral problems.
15. Prepares and maintains records and reports required by law, Board policies and administrative directives; ensures staff maintain assigned records and prepare required reports with accuracy and in a timely manner.
16. Assists in implementing the public relations program for assigned school.
17. Enforces policies and procedures designed to protect the safety and welfare of students and staff while on campus.
18. Keeps abreast of developments and innovations in the profession and ensures that staff members remain current as well. Keeps supervisor informed of events and activities of an unusual nature as well as routine matters related to supervisor's accountability.
19. Performs various administrative/office duties as necessary, including preparing reports and correspondence, compiling information and data for reports, copying and filing documents, receiving and responding to e-mails.
20. Represents the school and District at various professional and community meetings as appropriate.
21. Coordinates school programs and activities with those of other schools, agencies and organizations as appropriate.
22. Attends classes, training, conferences, workshops and meetings as appropriate or necessary to maintain job knowledge and skills and/or required certifications.
23. Performs other related duties as assigned or directed.
Minimum Qualifications: 1. Requires a masterís degree in educational administration or supervision from an accredited college or university.
2. State certification in Administration/Supervision at the elementary and/or secondary level, Educational Leadership, or an equivalent certification as defined by the Tennessee Department of Education.
3. Requires 3 to 5 years of successful teaching experience with some demonstrated leadership experience.
4. An equivalent combination of training, and experience which provide the knowledge, abilities and skills necessary to perform effectively in the position may be considered ( Examples: Adult Higher Education, MBA, Organizational Management, and Public Administrations)
Degree Equivalency Formula:
Bachelorís Degree= 4 years plus required years of experience.
Masterís Degree= 2 years plus required years of experience. Where Masterís degrees are required, years for Bachelorís Degrees must be included.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities: - Can demonstrate knowledge of principles and practices of modern public elementary school education and an ability to apply them to the needs of the school;
- knowledge of current elementary education curriculum and instructional practices and trends;
- knowledge of public school organization and administration and the support activities required;
- ability to plan, organize, and coordinate both instructional and operational support activities;
- ability to plan and supervise the work of others;
- ability to develop effective working relationships with students, staff, and the community;
- ability to communicate effectively, both orally and in writing
Physical Requirements and Working Environment Physical Demands: Requires sedentary work involving standing or walking for brief periods, exerting up to 10 pounds of force on a regular basis; and some dexterity in operating office equipment.
Unavoidable Hazards: The position is exposed to no unusual environmental hazards.
Sensory (Ada) Requirements: The position requires normal visual acuity and field of vision, hearing and speaking abilities.
AMERICANS WITH DISABILITIES ACT COMPLIANCE The district is an Equal Opportunity Employer. ADA requires the district to provide adequate accommodations to qualified persons with disabilities. Prospective and current employees are encouraged to discuss ADA accommodations with management..
If you are interested in submitting your application to this position click on
the "Apply Now" button above. You must register with Eduation America Network to complete the application process.
Registration is free and only takes a few minutes. You will be asked to verify you email address. Once your email address
is verified and you complete the registration process you will be able to apply to this and other jobs posted on Education
The job posting above from Shelby County Schools may require
certification levels, qualifications or eligibility requirements for
being employed in the United States or the state of Tennessee. Please read the
carefully! DO NOT apply or send unsolicited resumes if you do not meet the
requirements listed by Shelby County Schools in their postings.
Please quote the Education America Network
in your application to this job