Shelby County Schools is seeking qualified applicants for the following position(s):
Instructional Math Coach
Location: Craigmont High School
Purpose and Scope: The Instructional Literacy/Math Coach works collaboratively, as part of the consultancy team within his/her assigned school(s), by working with the school leadership team to identify school improvement priorities, observing and providing feedback on classroom instruction, facilitating professional development, demonstrating lessons, and coaching teachers one-on-one and in small group settings. The job of the coach is to build capacity of the school and its teachers to provide high quality instruction and ensure all students achieve to rigorous standards of career and college readiness.
The Instructional Literacy/Math Coach works primarily in direct support of teachers (e.g., conferencing, co-planning, observing, modeling, co-teaching/coaching). The Instructional Literacy/Math Coach participates in professional development and inquiry into his or her own instructional leadership practice. The Instructional Literacy/Math Coach demonstrates positive expectations for students' learning and shares that vision of students' potential with coached teachers plays an important role in the review, analysis, and interpretation of a variety of data to inform instructional planning, practice, and decision-making aligned to district and school priorities, CCR standards, teacher development needs, and evidence-based practices. The Instructional Literacy/Math Coach also helps to identify and leverage available resources aligned to school needs; communicate District priorities, strategies, and supports; and inform, design, and facilitate professional development at the district, school, and grade/department levels.
Essential Job Functions: 1. Support school improvement aligned to District and school priorities and teacher needs, in consultation with the school leadership team (e.g., consultancy model).
2. Collaborate with the principal, school leadership team, and/or grade-level or department teams to identify school, teacher, and student learning needs--strengths and opportunities--by analyzing a variety of student, staff, and school data, developing aligned action plans, and providing high quality support in coordination with school and district resources (e.g., other coaches and experts).
3. Provide direct support to teachers and coaches through conferencing, co-planning, conducting of classroom observations and providing feedback, modeling best practices, leading demonstration lessons, co-teaching, analyzing data, and supporting inquiry and reflection to foster a strong professional learning culture, support teachers' continuous improvement, and promote quality instructional practices.
4. Use a variety data to identify trends for schools, individual or small groups of teachers, and students within assigned schools to provide targeted support, as neeed.
5. Model effective instruction aligned to District and school priorities, college and career readiness standards for student learning, district standards of effective instruction (e.g., TEM), teacher learning needs, and evidence-based practices, including differentiated instruction.
6. Provide individualized and small-group, classroom-based coaching to support teachers and leaders in implementing effective instructional practices.
7. Foster deep understanding of the content standards and help teachers and leaders to develop content-specific, pedagogical knowledge and a repertoire of aligned, effective instructional strategies to accelerate student learning.
8. Serve as a liaison between the school(s) and the District, including by communicating and reinforcing district priorities and expectations, brokering and leveraging resources (e.g., instructional planning materials, data, expertise), and identifying additional professional development opportunities.
9. Support the design and facilitation of district- and school-based professional development.
10. Maintain accurate records, including school data profiles, coaching logs, and other documentation as requested.
11. Participate in on-going professional development, including actively participating in conferences, workshops, meetings, and professional learning communities (both face-to-face and virtual)-including with other district coaches, as well as engaging in professional reading and reflection, as appropriate to enhance knowledge and Literacy/Math coaches are charged with acquiring the knowledge; skills and instructional strategies necessary to dramatically improve instructional quality and impact at their site(s).
12. Performs other related duties as assigned or directed.
Minimum Qualifications: Graduation from an accredited college or university with a Master's Degree in Education, Curriculum and Instruction or a closely related field plus a minimum of three (3) years of classroom experience related to the area of assignment and requires an endorsement in the content area directly related to area of assignment, or any equivalent combination of education, training, and/or paid, exempt level directly relevant experience which provides the requisite knowledge, skills and abilities for this position for a total of nine (9) years. Demonstrated effectiveness related to the area of assignment required. Valid State of Tennessee teacher licensure certification required. An endorsement and/or graduate study in the content area directly related to area of assignment, evidence of ongoing professional learning, and professional development facilitation and coaching experience highly preferred. Teacher Effectiveness scores of four (4) or five (5) the previous three years preferred.
Degree Equivalency Formula:
Bachelor's Degree= 4 years plus required years of experience.
Master's Degree= 6 years plus required years of experience.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities: - Deep knowledge of College and Career Readiness standards for student learning
- In-depth knowledge of principles of effective instruction from advance curriculum and content and instruction
- Mastery of appropriate content-specific, pedagogical knowledge and related research and best practices
- Strong analytic and problem-solving skills, with the ability to swiftly and accurately understand and analyze complex data to identify strengths and opportunities
- Skill in developing data-supported solutions and using fact-based logic; ability to translate complex analysis in easy-to-understand manner and present to a broad audience.
- Ability to collaborate with diverse stakeholders to identify needs and plan and implement strategies for improvement aligned district and school needs and priorities (e.g., consultancy model).
- Understanding of best practices in effective professional development, teacher support, and instructional coaching.
- Ability to design and facilitate effective professional development, including conferencing, co-planning, conducting classroom observations and providing feedback, modeling best practices, leading demonstration lessons, co-teaching, analyzing data, and supporting inquiry and reflection.
- Ability to provide timely and meaningful feedback to teachers and schools.
- Ability to design and/or broker (individually or in collaboration with others) high-quality professional development for teachers, coaches, leaders, and other school staff.
- Excellent human relations skills and ability to establish and maintain successful cooperative working relationship with appropriate school communities, and school-based and central office staffs.
- Ability to effectively work in teams and support the professional development of peers, including as critical friends.
- Strong organizational, planning, and record-keeping skills.
- Strong written and verbal communication skills.
If you are interested in submitting your application to this position click on
the "Apply Now" button above. You must register with Eduation America Network to complete the application process.
Registration is free and only takes a few minutes. You will be asked to verify you email address. Once your email address
is verified and you complete the registration process you will be able to apply to this and other jobs posted on Education
The job posting above from Shelby County Schools may require
certification levels, qualifications or eligibility requirements for
being employed in the United States or the state of Tennessee. Please read the
carefully! DO NOT apply or send unsolicited resumes if you do not meet the
requirements listed by Shelby County Schools in their postings.
Please quote the Education America Network
in your application to this job