Shelby County Schools is seeking qualified applicants for the following position(s):
Chief of Schools
Location: Board of Education
Purpose and Scope: Drives educational excellence across all schools. Establishes clear vision and strategic direction for instructional leadership, school culture and school improvement initiatives. Ensures significant student achievement gains. Works in close collaboration with the Chief of Academics and the Chief of Performance Management and Strategy to meet Destination 2025 goals. Supervises, coaches and supports principals and oversees teacher coaching. Oversees the functions of Schools and School Leadership, Innovation Zone, Empowerment Zone and virtual schools.
Essential Job Functions: 1. Drives district-wide multi-year planning and strategy to drive excellence across all schools. In collaboration with the Chief of Academics and Chief of Performance Management and Strategy, develops a strategy to implement the districtís instructional vision. Implements initiatives and strategies aligned with Destination 2025. Establishes student achievement goals. Directs, and administers the delivery of innovative turnaround strategies to increase student achievement.
2. Develops, articulates and enacts the vision of Destination 2025 in transforming all schools. Collaborates with instructional leaders to identify tools in use to enable the best decision making. Researches cutting-edge practices and innovations in programs such as blended learning for teaching, learning and school design that are emerging nationwide. Implements new models. Ensures the development of a comprehensive innovative curriculum to meet the diverse needs of the district's students, particularly focusing on Innovation Zone and Empowerment Zone Schools.
3. Drives improvements in student achievement by innovative programs in grades Pre-K to12 district-wide. Strives to make all Shelby County Schools, the new optional schools that can take students to the 25th century. Starts by working to ensure that all students are reading on grade level or above. Communicates with all schools and departments on a regular basis to ensure effective systems and structures are in place to accelerate a results-focused drive towards Destination 2025 goals.
4. Builds teacher capacity by ensuring successful innovative programs are shared district-wide. Collaborates with teachers to design, test and measure ideas that will transform the schools. Ensures effective management, coaching and mentorship of teachers in ways that drive significant student achievement gains.
5. Drives school leader development: Provides overall instructional leadership for the district. In conjunction with Talent Management, develops a pipeline for recruiting school leaders. and growing internal school leaders, so that each school has an effective principal. Creates a system to evaluate principals and provides professional development including teacher coaching, use of data, school culture and discipline. Explores school-level autonomy for budget and curriculum decisions in exchange for full accountability for student achievement and school performance. Supervises, coaches and supports principals. Develops a program for training school leaders.
6. Manages the district's overall portfolio of schools, including the regional offices, the process for new school development and facility utilization changes: Supports regional offices in driving academic strategy and supporting schools and principals. Ensures that the regions collaborate and are aligned with the overall district strategy. In conjunction with the executive leadership team, sets a holistic strategy for the district's portfolio of schools, aligned with the multiple achievement paths model. Oversees the development of new schools, including site selection, all policies, processes and community engagement. Recommends facility utilization changes when necessary.
7. Oversees school staffing: Coordinates with Talent Management including working with The New Teacher Project and setting district staffing levels. Develops a process that attracts new talent and retains the best talent in schools that is fair, disciplined, and transparent. Adheres to all relevant district human resource policies.
8. Enforces accountability and quality control measures: In conjunction with Planning and Accountability, sets district-wide standards for school performance and student achievement. Fosters a culture of accountability and striving for high academic performance. Ensures compliance with all federal, state, local, and district policies and procedures.
9. Supports the overall vision and leadership of the district and the division: Serves as a key contributor in the Superintendent's cabinet to set the overall vision and provide leadership to the district. Oversees the functions of Schools and School Leadership, Innovation Zone, Empowerment Zone, and virtual schools. Manages these functions effectively. Manages the overall budget for the division, and sets and enforces financial metrics and targets. Establishes standards for selection, hiring, training, performance evaluations for the division within the overall philosophy of the district.
10. Performs related responsibilities as required or directed.
Minimum Qualifications: Graduation from an accredited college or university with a Masterís Degree in Educational Administration and Supervision or a closely related field plus a minimum of ten (10) years of successful experience in a top leadership position involving instructional programming in a major school district or any equivalent combination of education, training, and/or paid, exempt level directly relevant experience which provides the requisite knowledge, skills and abilities for this position for a total of sixteen (16) years. Doctorate degree in Educational Leadership, or closely related field preferred. Valid Tennessee School Administrator's license, along with other certifications as required by state and local policies (e.g., Tennessee professional teacher's license).
Degree Equivalency Formula:
Bachelorís Degree = 4 years plus required years of experience.
Masterís Degree = 6 years plus required years of experience.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities: - Passion for serving students and improving educational outcomes; committed to ensuring that Shelby County students graduate high school with the skills necessary to be successful in life
- Strong analytic and problem-solving skills, with the ability to swiftly and accurately understand complex data and perform analyses
- Penchant for data-supported solutions and fact-based logic; ability to translate complex analysis in easy-to-understand manner and present to a broad audience
- Strong written and oral communication skills
- Outstanding leadership skills and ability to build high-performing teams through both recruitment & selection and professional development
- Ability to tackle the fiscal challenges of the school district in a complex, changing political and educational environment
- Ability to manage daily administrative tasks without losing sight of long-term goals & planning
Physical Requirements and Working Environment: Physical Demands: Requires sedentary work involving standing or walking for brief periods, exerting up to 10 pounds of force on a regular basis; and some dexterity in operating office equipment; must be able to use hands and fingers
Unavoidable Hazards: The position is exposed to no unusual environmental hazards.
Sensory (ADA) Requirements: The position requires normal visual acuity and field of vision, hearing and speaking abilities.
AMERICANS WITH DISABILITIES ACT COMPLIANCE SCS is an Equal Opportunity Employer. SCS provides reasonable accommodations to qualified persons with disabilities. Prospective and current employees are encouraged to discuss ADA accommodations with management.
If you are interested in submitting your application to this position click on
the "Apply Now" button above. You must register with Eduation America Network to complete the application process.
Registration is free and only takes a few minutes. You will be asked to verify you email address. Once your email address
is verified and you complete the registration process you will be able to apply to this and other jobs posted on Education
The job posting above from Shelby County Schools may require
certification levels, qualifications or eligibility requirements for
being employed in the United States or the state of Tennessee. Please read the
carefully! DO NOT apply or send unsolicited resumes if you do not meet the
requirements listed by Shelby County Schools in their postings.
Please quote the Education America Network
in your application to this job