Kansas City Kansas Public Schools is seeking qualified applicants for the following position(s):
College and Career Coordinator
Location: Sumner Academy
Job Goal: To facilitate student comprehension and application of concepts, skills and behaviors that contribute to the development of mature, able and responsible member of society. To ensure continuous improvement in state and national performance levels to prepare students for college and careers in a global society, and at every level, performance is on-track and on-time for success.
Essential Functions: - Ensures students are on track to fulfill the goal of being college and career ready
- Begins work with 9th grade students to create the vision and planning for a successful high school and post-secondary experience.
- Works with all students to ensure there is a plan to continue education or career after graduation
- Works with several internal and external entities to ensure students complete FAFSA and other college-funding forms as well as scholarship opportunities
- Coordinates with SLC college coordinators to ensure the college and career
- Ensures all students have applied to and planned for post-secondary learning
- Coordinate activities/field trips/college visits with College and Career Coordinators
- Serves as a point of contact for college recruitment, college classes and career experiences and as the Armed Forces liaison
- Coordinates college visits and college fairs
- Assist students in the college application process including letters of recommendation and essays
- Assist counselors with concurrent and dual enrollment
- Collaborates with counselors related to TEC enrollment and certification completion after graduation
- Promotes and assists with ACT registration
- Supervises students enrolled in college classes
- Provides guidance to students as they make college and career decisions
- Performs data collection for college process:
* 9th graders on track and on time for 10th grade
* 10th graders who have visited a college or had a workplace experience
* 11th graders prepared to take a college course
* 12th graders accepted to a postsecondary education
* Number of college hours taken
* Scholarship money awarded to students
* Percent of students completing the FAFSA or scholarship forms
- Coordinates outside college support work with the school including:
* KU Trio Program
* Upward Bound
* Talent Search
* Gear Up
- Other duties as assigned by principal or principalís designee
- Ability to work a full duty day in the location or locations assigned.
- Participates in professional growth and development activities including staff meetings, and in-service and staff development activities as required or assigned.
- Assists in the documentation of student progress by efficiently maintaining and submitting appropriate records and reports.
- Ensures that the classroom and/or instructional environment - is attractive, healthful, safe and generally conducive to learning.
- Actively participates in extra-curricular activities as requested by the principal.
- Take attendance and keep attendance registers, according to Board policy.
- Other duties as assigned
Qualifications: - Meets the employment qualifications set forth by the Kansas City, Kansas Board of Education and the Kansas State Department of Education.
- Kansas teaching certificate in area of instructional responsibility
- English as a Second Language endorsement preferred or be committed to obtaining that endorsement
- Good knowledge of content, curriculum, methods, materials and equipment of instructional specialty to which assigned.
- Good knowledge of student growth and development applicable to the grade assigned.
- Good knowledge of schoolís program of studies related to mission, goals and organization.
- Continually study and learn current research and theory.
- Ability to plan and implement lessons based on curriculum objectives and the needs and abilities of students.
- Ability to move around the room in order to effectively monitor student work and behavior.
- Ability to establish and maintain effective relationships with students, parents and peers, including serving as a family advocate in the district-wide Family Advocate System.
- Skilled and effective in oral and written communication.
- Excellent human relations skills.
- Physical and emotional ability and dexterity to perform required work and move about as needed in the fast-paced, high-intensive work environment.
- Possess the patience, caring and desire needed to work with the students and parents to see that each student has the opportunity to succeed.
- Know and follow Section 504 and IDEA amendments.
- Be courteous and professional at all times.
- Maintain a neat and appropriate appearance.
Communication: Maintains communication with teachers, other school personnel, and parents/guardians to enhance cooperative action which will meet the educational needs of students.
Provides health services, information, and counseling in an effective and positive manner to enhance the health and wellness of the school community.
Completes accident/incident reports for students/staff.
Compiles data for statistical purposes.
Maintains confidentiality regarding educational records.
Organization: Utilizes existing technology effectively in the performance of duties.
Performs other related work as required.
Reasoning Ability: Ability to solve practical problems and deal with a variety of concrete variables in situations where only limited standardization exists. Ability to interpret a variety of instructions furnished in written, oral, diagram, or schedule form.
Language Skills: Ability to read and analyze and interpret general professional journals, technical procedures, or governmental regulations. Ability to write reports, general curriculum and learning theories, correspondence, and protocols. Ability to effectively present information and respond to questions from groups of administrators, staff, parents, students, and the general public.
Terms of Employment: 186 days
Salary: Based on KCKPS Salary Schedule
FLSA Status: EXEMPT
Reports To: Principal
Evaluation: Performance of this position will be evaluated in accordance with the provisions of the Boardís policy
Primary Location: Sumner Academy
Salary Range: Per Year
Shift Type: Full-Time
If you are interested in submitting your application to this position click on
the "Apply Now" button above. You must register with Eduation America Network to complete the application process.
Registration is free and only takes a few minutes. You will be asked to verify you email address. Once your email address
is verified and you complete the registration process you will be able to apply to this and other jobs posted on Education
The job posting above from Kansas City Kansas Public Schools may require
certification levels, qualifications or eligibility requirements for
being employed in the United States or the state of Kansas. Please read the
carefully! DO NOT apply or send unsolicited resumes if you do not meet the
requirements listed by Kansas City Kansas Public Schools in their postings.
Please quote the Education America Network
in your application to this job