Kansas City Kansas Public Schools is seeking qualified applicants for the following position(s):
Middle School Special Education Teacher
Job Goal: To provide students with the ability to obtain knowledge, information, skills and to have a sense of self-worth and dignity that will help them be successful as they transition from high school to the community.
Essential Functions: - To advocate for the rights of students with special needs.
- To develop and maintain a positive professional working relationship with student, parents, teachers, administrators and other service providers.
- To be responsible for planning instructional programs for the classroom. This includes, but is not limited to, individual plans as outlined on students’ Individual Education Programs.
- To serve as a liaison between the school and the community.
- Establish I.E.P./annual review meetings, affording parents’ and student’s right to input and notifying all service providers per local guidelines.
- To serve as an active member on the I.E.P. team for students, served yet not on the caseload.
- Develop and maintain all I.E.P.’s in accordance with federal, state and local guidelines.
- Maintain close communication with mainstream teachers and other service providers, keeping them fully informed of student progress.
- To carry out other responsibilities as assigned by the building administrator or special education administrator.
- Perform additional duties which will provide a positive role model for the student to follow both in the classroom and outside of the classroom setting.
- Evaluate student performance by performing diagnostic testing necessary in preparing for annual reviews and eligibility staffings, as well as quarterly updates on the I.E.P.
- Monitor student progress in mainstreamed classes.
- Assist in establishing class schedules.
- Supervise, evaluate and help train paraprofessionals as assigned.
- Request equipment and supplies as necessary to meet objectives as outlined on individual student’s I.E.P.s
- Demonstrate curriculum knowledge and teaching strategies.
- Implement behavioral intervention plans, as necessary
- To be responsible for other duties deemed necessary and appropriate as outlined in federal, state and local guidelines and students’ Individual Educational Program.
- Ability to work a full duty day in the location or locations assigned by the supervisor.
- Physical and emotional ability to perform required work and move about as needed in the fast-paced, highly intensive school environment.
- Maintain a neat and appropriate appearance
- Other duties as assigned
Communication: Maintains communication with teachers, other school personnel, and parents/guardians to enhance cooperative action which will meet the educational needs of students.
Provides health services, information, and counseling in an effective and positive manner to enhance the health and wellness of the school community.
Completes accident/incident reports for students/staff.
Compiles data for statistical purposes.
Maintains confidentiality regarding educational records.
Organization: Maintains a daily log of school/staff visits and documentation.
Maintains the daily environment of the health office facility and supplies.
Utilizes existing technology effectively in the performance of duties.
Performs other related work as required.
Qualifications: Meet the employment qualifications set forth by the Kansas City, Kansas Board of Education and the Kansas State Department of Education.
Hold or be eligible for Kansas certification appropriate for the position
Must be tolerant and understanding of students with special needs.
Show initiative, creativity, self-motivation and good judgment.
Demonstrate good judgment, adaptability and flexibility.
Excellent interpersonal skills, professional judgment, oral and written communication
Be efficient and organized in “paper management”
Reasoning Ability: Ability to solve practical problems and deal with a variety of concrete variables in situations where only limited standardization exists. Ability to interpret a variety of instructions furnished in written, oral, diagram, or schedule form.
Language Skills: Ability to read and analyze and interpret general professional journals, technical procedures, or governmental regulations. Ability to write reports, general curriculum and learning theories, correspondence, and protocols. Ability to effectively present information and respond to questions from groups of administrators, staff, parents, students, and the general public.
Terms of Employment: 186 days
Salary: Based on KCKPS Salary Schedule
FLSA Status: EXEMPT
Reports To: Principal
Evaluation: Performance will be evaluated in accordance with Board of Education
Primary Location: TBD
Salary Range: Per Year
Shift Type: Full-Time
If you are interested in submitting your application to this position click on
the "Apply Now" button above. You must register with Eduation America Network to complete the application process.
Registration is free and only takes a few minutes. You will be asked to verify you email address. Once your email address
is verified and you complete the registration process you will be able to apply to this and other jobs posted on Education
The job posting above from Kansas City Kansas Public Schools may require
certification levels, qualifications or eligibility requirements for
being employed in the United States or the state of Kansas. Please read the
carefully! DO NOT apply or send unsolicited resumes if you do not meet the
requirements listed by Kansas City Kansas Public Schools in their postings.
Please quote the Education America Network
in your application to this job