Grand Rapids Public Schools is seeking qualified applicants for the following position(s):
Early Childhood/PreK Teacher
Location: Various/To Be Determined
Additional Information: Position Title: PreSchool/Early Childhood Teacher
Bargaining Unit: Grand Rapids Education Association (GREA)
Salary: $37,538 and comprehensive benefits package
Earning Days: 195 Days or as annually determined by the contract
GRPS Mission: Our mission is to ensure that all students are educated, self-directed and productive members of society.
Job Summary: The Classroom Teacher is responsible for working as an instructional team leader to create world-class learning experiences rich with engaging activities which support ALL preschoolerís academic and social emotional growth.
Essential Job Functions: Essential functions, according to the Americans with Disabilities Act, may include any of the duties, knowledge and skills outlined in this job description. This list is illustrative only, and is not a comprehensive listing of all functions and duties performed by employees in this position. Employees are required to be in attendance and prepared to begin work at their assigned work location on the specified days and hours. Factors such as regular attendance at the job are not routinely listed in job descriptions, but are an essential function. Essential duties and responsibilities may include, but are not limited to the following:
Job Functions: - Work cooperatively and collaboratively with the building staff to insure that PreK services are totally integrated in the assigned building.
- Work cooperatively and collaboratively with other PreK staff to insure that PreK instructional model is carried out uniformly throughout classrooms.
- Insure that PreK classroom meets or exceeds all licensing and Program Quality Assessment criteria and participate in Great Start to Quality QRIS survey.
- Maintain all records in accordance with Child Licensing and Great Start Readiness Program Implementation Manual.
- Demonstrate leadership skills by partnering with assigned paraprofessional creating an instructional team to achieve classroom curriculum development and delivery while supporting every childís academic and social emotional growth.
- Participate in collaborative planning with peers, Communities of Practice meetings, and EC MTSS team as needed.
- Be excited to set instructional goals with parents by providing 2 home visits to each child enrolled in the classroom.
- Provide educational opportunities monthly for parents of PreK students to engage in with their child.
- Participate in 16 hours of on-going training yearly to meet childcare licensing regulations.
- Accept and accomplish other duties as assigned from the Early Childhood Dept. GRPS.
Parent and Community Engagement: - Make and maintain regular, positive contact with parents via phone calls, email and/or home visits including communicating student progress.
- Establish and maintain effective written and oral communication and rapport with students, parents and colleagues.
- Participate in parent meetings, including IEPís and Parent/Teacher Conferences.
- Contribute to the development of a positive attitude between the school and the wider community through cooperative relations, publications, competitions, etc.
- Contribute to community service and global citizenship goals
Other Duties: - Display physical, social, mental and emotional soundness in order to execute the duties of job.
- Serve as a role model for all students and within school community.
- Interact with co-workers, administration, students, parents and the community in positive, supportive and cooperative ways.
- Encourage the team spirit and contribute as a team member in the decision making processes of the school as facilitated by the building administrator.
- Attend staff meetings and serve on committees as required.
- Contribute to extra-curricular activities such as clubs and academic competitions and school programs
- Maintain and promote school district goals and objectives.
- Comply with state, federal and District policies, procedures, rules, and the union contract.
- Regular and on-time attendance is required.
- Other duties as assigned.
EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE Required
- ZA or ZS endorsement on current Michigan Elementary Education Teaching Certificate
- All coursework to meet qualifications to serve as Program Director for a LARA licensed PreK classroom, including a 2 semester hour course in Early Childhood Administration.
- Valid CPR and First Aid certification or be willing to acquire.
Additional Requirements - Demonstrate ability to build relationships with students, parents, staff and community in a professional, contractual, and courteous manner.
- Experience working with children and teaching them in developmentally appropriate ways aligned with NAEYC and Michigan Early Childhood Standards of High Quality.
- Demonstrate good attendance, punctuality, and excellent communication/ organization skills.
- Demonstrate respect for confidentiality requirements of information.
- Demonstrate ability to work in a diverse school environment.
- Demonstrated understanding of current research as to how children learn and the ability to motivate student to perform at their best
- Demonstrated ability to work in an economically, culturally, and racially diverse environment.
- Demonstrated ability to communicate effectively in the English language, both orally and in writing.
- Demonstrated ability to differentiate instruction, by using a variety of styles, and inspire mixed culture and ability classes by creating challenging and engaging learning opportunities for all students
- Demonstrated ability to participate as a member of the team.
- Demonstrated ability to manage a diverse and demanding workload
ADA REQUIREMENTS: The physical demands, work environment factors, and mental functions described below are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
PHYSICAL DEMANDS: - Obtain a physical that insures ability to perform duties of PreK teacher (licensing requirement)
- Have the ability to work on the floor with students and move quickly should the need arise for safety reasons.
- Accompany children outdoors on a daily basis in a variety of seasonal weather.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is required to stand, walk, sit, use hands to finger, handle, or feel, reach with hands and arms, climb or balance, stoop, kneel, crouch, or crawl, talk, hear (in a quiet or noisy environment), taste and smell. The employee must occasionally lift and/or move up to 40 pounds. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, distance vision and ability to adjust/focus.
WORK ENVIRONMENT: The noise level in the work environment is usually loud to moderate. Work is performed indoors although there will be required outdoor activities. The employee is directly responsible for the safety, well-being and work output of students.
MENTAL FUNCTIONS: While performing the duties of this job, the employee is required to compare, analyze, communicate both orally and in writing in the English language, copy, coordinate, instruct, compute, synthesize, evaluate, use interpersonal skills, compile and negotiate.
If you are interested in submitting your application to this position click on
the "Apply Now" button above. You must register with Eduation America Network to complete the application process.
Registration is free and only takes a few minutes. You will be asked to verify you email address. Once your email address
is verified and you complete the registration process you will be able to apply to this and other jobs posted on Education
The job posting above from Grand Rapids Public Schools may require
certification levels, qualifications or eligibility requirements for
being employed in the United States or the state of Michigan. Please read the
carefully! DO NOT apply or send unsolicited resumes if you do not meet the
requirements listed by Grand Rapids Public Schools in their postings.
Please quote the Education America Network
in your application to this job