School / Org:
Sonia Sotomayor Elementary or Edison Middle School
Sioux Falls, South Dakota
No. of Positions:
Thursday, 14 June 2018
Open Until Filled
Sioux Falls School District is seeking qualified applicants for the following position(s):
Spanish Immersion Teacher - 1.0 FTE at Sonia Sotomayor ELM or Edison MS
Location: Sonia Sotomayor Elementary or Edison Middle School
Job Description: The Sioux Falls School District is in search of additional teachers for the Elementary Spanish Immersion Program. Students enrolled in the program are involved in full Spanish immersion in their core-content classes, with the goal of becoming bilingual, global citizens.
Requirements: - Bachelorís degree in education, English, Language Arts, Business, Civics, or related field.
- Possess or be eligible for a SD teaching certificate
- Background knowledge, skills, and/or proficiency/ability in: Student teaching, Spanish Immersion teaching or training.
- Native or near-native Spanish speaking, writing, and reading abilities.
- Meet District Spanish language competency standards for oral and written proficiency established through objective means selected by the District and through lesson demonstration.
Experience and Skills Desired: - Ability to share authentic-Spanish cultural experiences gained through personal experience living in a Spanish speaking country or location.
- Previous Spanish Language Immersion program teaching experience.
- Skills in human relations, leadership, and conflict management.
- Knowledge of teaching techniques that meet the diverse needs of students.
- Demonstrated skills in the use of technology to enhance student learning.
Essential Job Duties: 1. Ability to Plan and Prepare Instructional Tasks
- Plan instructional tasks that are meaningful and related to learning goals
2. Provide Instruction to Students
- Implement District curriculum
- Maintain a strong instructional focus utilizing the elements of effective instruction
- Communicate a high level of expectation
- Communicate clear learning goals to students
- Adapt instruction to meet the needs of all students
- Address various learning styles
- Sequence content at an appropriate pace
- Use appropriate level of questioning to promote understanding
- Relate lesson content to prior and future learning
- Require students to summarize information in written and/or verbal form
- Appropriately recognize and reinforce individual student effort
- Represent knowledge/information non-linguistically through a variety of methods
- Organize students in cooperative or ability groups when appropriate
- Require students to analyze and apply knowledge
- Display enjoyment, humor, and enthusiasm for teaching and expect students to enjoy learning
- Conduct ongoing assessments for learning
3. Provide Effective Classroom Environment
- Establish appropriate classroom rules and procedures that are clearly understood by all students
- Effectively and consistently enforce rules and follow procedures
- Redirect students naturally and immediately without disrupting others
- Be well-organized and have all materials, equipment, etc., ready for immediate use
- Carry out smooth and effective transitions (e.g., from one activity to another, as students enter and leave the room)
- Maximize time on purposeful instructional tasks
- Begin and end class period with focus on learning
- Establish a positive learning environment
4. Participate in Professional Growth Opportunities and Demonstrate Professionalism
- Participate in ongoing professional growth
- Participate in school/professional and/or community organizations or events
- Complete routine assigned tasks and comply with District requirements
- Promote the education profession
- Communicate effectively and professionally with colleagues, parents and students
- Conduct parent-teacher conferences in accordance with District policy
5. Follow District and building policies and procedures
6. Support of District goals
7. Report student progress to parents and students
8. Perform other duties as assigned
Pay Day: Last working day of each month.
FTE: 1.0 FTE (full-time teacher) multiple positions, grade levels to be determined.
Hours: Monday - Friday 7:30am - 4:00pm
Benefit Information: Benefits (only for positions 20 hours per week or more)
Salary Range: Salary Schedule
If you are interested in submitting your application to this position click on
the "Apply Now" button above. You must register with Eduation America Network to complete the application process.
Registration is free and only takes a few minutes. You will be asked to verify you email address. Once your email address
is verified and you complete the registration process you will be able to apply to this and other jobs posted on Education
The job posting above from Sioux Falls School District may require
certification levels, qualifications or eligibility requirements for
being employed in the United States or the state of South Dakota. Please read the
carefully! DO NOT apply or send unsolicited resumes if you do not meet the
requirements listed by Sioux Falls School District in their postings.
Please quote the Education America Network
in your application to this job