Wichita Public Schools is seeking qualified applicants for the following position(s):
Guest Staff (Substitute) Services, Teacher
Location: Multiple Locations
Position Purpose: Assumes the duties of the regularly assigned classroom teacher in his/her absence. A substitute teacher is directly responsible to the building administrator for which they are substitute teaching as well as all expectations set forth by the Human Resources Department. The substitute should be prepared to follow the plans provided by the teacher and depend on the substitute's teaching skills to provide a positive learning environment for pupils.
Essential Performance Responsibilities: - Teaches with understanding and respect for the individuality of each pupil.
- Follows the lesson plans the teacher prepared in order to provide an effective lesson for students.
- Consults with a building administrator or grade level teacher, before initiating any teaching or other procedure not specified in the lesson or building plans.
- Records attendance and all other requested documentation.
- Adheres strictly to professional ethics.
- Protects confidentiality of all USD 259 students.
- Manages the learning environment by handling non-instructional tasks efficiently, using instructional time appropriately, maintaining an effective physical setting for instruction, and maintaining appropriate student behavior in the classroom.
- Makes necessary referrals of pupils to other professional personnel according to the building plan.
- Reports in writing the day's activities to the regularly assigned classroom teacher.
- Returns all instructional materials, equipment, and keys to the proper place at the conclusion of the teaching day.
- Reports all student injuries, accidents, illnesses, and discipline problems as well as all student concerns or allegations to the appropriate authority immediately, or as soon as is reasonably possible.
- Reviews job status i.e. dates, times, cancellations, number of days of the assignment etc. on the SubFinder System regularly in order to ensure the substitute's awareness of all job requirements as well as any changes made to the assignment.
- Attends to the needs of students and engages them in learning at all times during the assignment.
- Willingness and flexibility to change an assignment (be it grade level or subject) at a moment's notice when asked by a building administrator.
- Work in a positive and cooperative manner with paraeducators, support staff, and all others in the school setting.
Additional Duties: Assists with additional duties as assigned by building administrator.
Equipment: This position requires the ability to use SMART boards and iPads in addition to basic office equipment such as computers, copiers, scanners, and fax machine.
Travel: Limited travel between schools may be required.
Physical and Mental Demands, Work Hazards: - Must be able to move around the classroom in order to effectively monitor student work and behavior.
- The physical and mental ability to work in a variety of classroom settings and deliver behavioral strategies for the safety and welfare of all students.
- Ability to work outdoors during outdoor student activities.
- Must report to work at least 15 minutes prior to the start of the substitute assignment.
- Additional demands upon request of school administrator.
- Required to follow the teacher dress codes standards.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities: - Ability to communicate effectively both verbally and written.
- Must be able to work at least 15 assignments per school semester and follow through with all accepted assignments.
- Displays a significant degree of professionalism and confidentiality.
- Excellent time management skills, good judgment and problem solving abilities.
- Ability to conform to proper standards of professional dress and appearance.
- Provide a safe and healthful environment for students of various schools.
Interrelations: Will work with a diverse population requiring the ability to handle all situations with tact and diplomacy. Must exhibit a professional manner and maintain a positive attitude at all times.
Qualification Profile: - Current Kansas Teaching License (regular teaching, initial, exchange, standard substitute, or emergency substitute)
- Successful completion of a one day USD 259 orientation training course.
- Meets the employment qualifications set forth by the Wichita Public Schools Board of Education and the Kansas State Department of Education.
FLSA Status: Non-exempt
Department Specifics: - Maintain open communication with the substitute office concerning changes in assignments and resignation of substitute teaching position.
- Meet the substitute teacher eligibility guidelines set forth by the Human Resources Office.
If you are interested in submitting your application to this position click on
the "Apply Now" button above. You must register with Eduation America Network to complete the application process.
Registration is free and only takes a few minutes. You will be asked to verify you email address. Once your email address
is verified and you complete the registration process you will be able to apply to this and other jobs posted on Education
The job posting above from Wichita Public Schools may require
certification levels, qualifications or eligibility requirements for
being employed in the United States or the state of Kansas. Please read the
carefully! DO NOT apply or send unsolicited resumes if you do not meet the
requirements listed by Wichita Public Schools in their postings.
Please quote the Education America Network
in your application to this job