Shelby County Schools is seeking qualified applicants for the following position(s):
2018-19 School Counselor - Elementary
Location: Dexter Elementary
Purpose and Scope: Assist in planning, implement and assess the schoolís guidance program designed to increase the academic, social, emotional and environmental strengths of students. The position is responsible for performing both professional and administrative tasks as necessary. The position works independently, reporting major activities through periodic meetings.
Essential Job Functions: - Implements a comprehensive guidance and counseling program based on state and District standards; collaborates with supervisor, other counselors, principal, assistant principals, faculty, staff and community resources in the planning, coordinatio7 and assessment of the counseling program.
- Counsels individuals and groups of students in setting and developing strategies for the achievement of academic, social/personal development and other identified goals.
- Facilitates crisis intervention as needed to ensure school/student safety.
- Provides peer mediation as needed for students.
- Works to discover and develop special abilities of students.
- Works to resolve students' educational handicaps.
- Administers various tests to assess the development and needs of students.
- Provides referrals to various school, District and community services when appropriate.
- Establishes and maintains confidential student case files; prepares and submits required records and reports.
- Attends meetings with staff and service providers to discuss individual student education plans and progress.
- Conducts conferences with parents to discuss student progress and problems; assists in presenting parent workshops as required.
- Participates with the principal and assistant principal the coordination of student registration, course selection and student scheduling.
- Conducts data analysis of attendance, detention and failure rates and other factors to help determine guidance counseling needs in assigned school.
- May assist in monitoring students during recess and in the cafeteria, and/or during student drop-off or dismissal.
- Receives and responds to inquiries, concerns and complaints in areas of responsibility.
- Performs routine administrative/office tasks as required, including but not limited to preparing correspondence, copying and filing documents, answering the telephone, sending and receiving faxes, entering and retrieving computer data, ordering supplies.
- Attends training, conferences and workshops as appropriate to enhance job knowledge and skills.
- Perform other duties as assigned or directed.
Minimum Qualifications: Graduation from an accredited college or university with a Masterís Degree in school counseling, plus an additional one (1) years related experience, for a total education/experience of seven (7) years. Requires state certification in Guidance and Counseling.
Physical Requirements and Working Environment Physical Demands: Requires sedentary work involving standing or walking for brief periods, exerting up to 10 pounds of force on a regular basis; and some dexterity in operating office equipment.
Unavoidable Hazards: The position is exposed to no unusual environmental hazards.
Sensory (ADA) Requirements: The position requires normal visual acuity and field of vision, hearing and speaking abilities.
AMERICANS WITH DISABILITIES ACT COMPLIANCE The district is an Equal Opportunity Employer. ADA requires the district to provide adequate accommodations to qualified persons with disabilities. Prospective and current employees are encouraged to discuss ADA accommodations with management.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities: - Knowledge of theories, principles, and concepts of guidance and/or counseling or related field;
- Ability to evaluate students;
- Skill in implementing a comprehensive guidance and counseling program;
- Knowledge of state and district counseling standards;
- Ability to collaborate with staff and peers in the coordination and assessment of programs;
- Skill in counseling individuals and groups;
- Ability to administer tests for assessment of students;
- Skill in writing concise, logical, grammatically correct analytical reports;
- Ability to communicate effectively, verbally and in writing;
- Ability to interpret, adapt, and apply guidelines and procedures;
- Skill in encouraging individuals on a personal, caring basis;
- Ability to work with confidential issues and information in a secure manner;
- Skill in data analysis to help determine guidance counseling needs.
If you are interested in submitting your application to this position click on
the "Apply Now" button above. You must register with Eduation America Network to complete the application process.
Registration is free and only takes a few minutes. You will be asked to verify you email address. Once your email address
is verified and you complete the registration process you will be able to apply to this and other jobs posted on Education
The job posting above from Shelby County Schools may require
certification levels, qualifications or eligibility requirements for
being employed in the United States or the state of Tennessee. Please read the
carefully! DO NOT apply or send unsolicited resumes if you do not meet the
requirements listed by Shelby County Schools in their postings.
Please quote the Education America Network
in your application to this job