Aspen School District is seeking qualified applicants for the following position(s):
English Language Arts Teacher - Long-Term Substitute
Location: Aspen High School
Job Description: Aspen High School seeks a long term substitute, English Language Arts teacher. Licensed hires will be paid at the District long term substitute rate of $180/day. Screening of applications will begin as applications are received and continue until the temporary vacancy is filled.
Position Description: As part of a high school secondary teaching assignment, the English language arts teacher instructs one or more classes of English to students in grades 9-12, strengthening students' reading comprehension, grammar, and writing proficiencies as well as providing the skills necessary to appreciate and critique literature. This teacher also assists in other school programs as assigned by the school principal.
Reports to: Aspen High School Principal
Requirement: Candidates must possess a current, initial or professional Colorado teaching license with an endorsement in secondary English Language Arts or be eligible to obtain this license within the first few weeks of hire.
The successful candidate will:
- Demonstrate knowledge of the content area of the English language, literature and composition , and reading and writing, including knowledge of the ways in which learning takes place and the appropriate levels of cognitive, social, and emotional development of the adolescent;
- Establish a respectful environment of a diverse population of students, developing a classroom environment in which each student has the opportunity to think independently and express original ideas;
- Facilitate learning for all students, guiding and challenging them by using a variety of instructional methods, including integrating and utilizing technology, to provide students with opportunities to develop critical thinking and problem solving skills, encourage exploration of ideas, and develop leadership qualities;
- Take responsibility for student academic growth using a variety of assessments and ongoing improvement of instructional practices;
- Reflect on teaching practices, analyzing student learning, development and growth and apply what is learned to improve instruction;
- Demonstrate leadership, advocating for the school and students and exhibiting high ethical standards;
- Demonstrate enthusiasm for collaboration, using RtI framework, with a team of administrators, teachers, and support staff; and
- Communicate effectively and interact well with parents and other community members.
Other Responsibilities: - Collaborate with colleagues and the school community to enhance the teaching profession;
- Have a strong desire to extend learning experiences beyond the classroom, including participation in experiential education;
- Identify student needs and collaborate with other staff members in assessing and aiding students to solve health, attitude, and learning problems;
- Maintain confidentiality of all student information for the purpose of protecting students, staff, parents and the District;
- Communicate with parents and school counselors on the individual studentís progress;
- Participate in curriculum and other programs within the school and/or on a district level;
- Share in the sponsorship of student activities and participate in faculty meetings and committees,
- May plan and coordinate the work of paraprofessionals or student teachers and monitor standardized tests.
Expectations: - Manages oneself (is organized, prepared, and punctual; manages resources; meets deadlines; follows through on commitments; demonstrates appropriate physical appearance relative to job and environmental expectations) in a manner that enhances the image of public education.
- Acts consistently in ways that directly support the missions of Aspen High School and the Aspen School District.
- Displays a willingness to learn new information.
- Uses strong verbal communication and strong listening skills;
- Develops and maintains rapport and effective relationships with adolescents and adults contacted in carrying out duties and responsibilities by using courtesy, diplomacy, collaboration, cooperation, support, and professional conduct;
- Formulates goals that reflect the organizationís strategic theme and include specific, measurable outcomes instead of just completing activities;
- Contributes actively to the goals and success of all teams and team members through collaboration, cooperation, and flexibility (give and take) in team discussions, activities, and decision making;
- Maintains high ethical standards, legal responsibility, and confidentiality.
Working Environment: The usual and customary methods of performing the jobís functions require the following physical demands: some lifting up to 50 lbs, carrying, pushing and/or pulling, some stooping, kneeling, sitting standing walking, and repetitive motion with computer work. The job is performed in a generally clean and comfortable environment.
Primary Location: Aspen High School
Salary Range: $180/day / Long Term Substitute
Shift Type: Full-Time
If you are interested in submitting your application to this position click on
the "Apply Now" button above. You must register with Eduation America Network to complete the application process.
Registration is free and only takes a few minutes. You will be asked to verify you email address. Once your email address
is verified and you complete the registration process you will be able to apply to this and other jobs posted on Education
The job posting above from Aspen School District may require
certification levels, qualifications or eligibility requirements for
being employed in the United States or the state of Colorado. Please read the
carefully! DO NOT apply or send unsolicited resumes if you do not meet the
requirements listed by Aspen School District in their postings.
Please quote the Education America Network
in your application to this job