Detroit Public Schools is seeking qualified applicants for the following position(s):
Senior JROTC Instructor
Location: Central Hub;Various School Locations
Salary Range: Annually
Benefits Eligibility: Successful candidates will be eligible for medical, dental, vision and life insurance coverage, as well as illness and vacation days.
Reports to: Director of Military Science
Special Note: To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodation may be made to enable individuals with disability, who are otherwise qualified, to perform the essential functions.
Position is responsible for instructing secondary school students in the JROTC curriculum.
Education Must be a retired United States Military Non-Commissioned Officer. Must possess a Bachelor’s degree. Must meet the minimum qualifications required by the Department of Defense. Must possess effective instructional delivery techniques, excellent communication skills, and ability to motivate students to excel.
Under the direction of the Director or designee…
Essential Duties: 1. Instructs Cadets in the JROTC curriculum during the school year.
2. Conduct training at JROTC and summer camps.
3. Develops short and long range plans for achieving curriculum goals, gathers appropriate materials, establishes clear objectives for lessons, and formulates appropriate lesson plans.
4. Creates a classroom environment conducive to learning and the personal growth of students.
5. Evaluates student progress and counsels cadets on their performance within the JROTC program.
6. Motivates and encourages student to develop skills, attitudes and knowledge needed to provide a foundation for becoming a responsible citizen.
7. Monitors student movement to ensure a safe and orderly environment.
8. Organizes, supervises and participates in extracurricular activities for JROTC cadets to include color guard, drill teams and other special activities.
9. Maintains JROTC student records as required by the Department of Army regulations and local policies
10. Complies with Army and school district safety guidelines when instructing, supervising.
11. Maintains supply accountability in strict compliance with Army security regulations.
12. Employs a variety of instructional techniques and media.
13. Models nondiscriminatory practices in all activities.
Others Duties: 1. Attends staff development programs, department meetings and other professional activities.
2. Sets an example and models positive attitudes, knowledge, and skills for cadets.
3. Maintains a working knowledge of new instructional methods, technology and equipment.
4. Performs other related duties as assigned by the appropriate administrator.
Working Conditions and Physical Requirements The physical requirements described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Must have the ability to sit and stand for extended periods of time; exhibit manual dexterity to dial a telephone, to enter data into a computer terminal/typewriter; to see and read a computer screen and printed material with or without vision aids; hear and understand speech at normal classroom levels, outdoors and on the telephone; speak in audible tones so that others may understand clearly in normal classrooms, outdoors and on the telephone; physical agility to lift up 25 pounds to shoulder height and 50 pounds to waist height; and to bend, stoop, climb stairs, walk and reach overhead.
Work Environment The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Duties are normally performed in a school/classroom environment. Duties may be occasionally performed on field trips away from school. The noise level in the work environment is usually moderate to loud.
Attendance: Regular Attendance is critical; must have an exemplary attendance record.
Citizenship: Must be able to verify whether U.S. citizen, resident alien, or otherwise authorized to accept employment in the U.S.
Physical Condition: Must be physically able to perform the duties and responsibilities outlined with or without accommodations.
If you are interested in submitting your application to this position click on
the "Apply Now" button above. You must register with Eduation America Network to complete the application process.
Registration is free and only takes a few minutes. You will be asked to verify you email address. Once your email address
is verified and you complete the registration process you will be able to apply to this and other jobs posted on Education
The job posting above from Detroit Public Schools may require
certification levels, qualifications or eligibility requirements for
being employed in the United States or the state of Michigan. Please read the
carefully! DO NOT apply or send unsolicited resumes if you do not meet the
requirements listed by Detroit Public Schools in their postings.
Please quote the Education America Network
in your application to this job