Grand Rapids Public Schools is seeking qualified applicants for the following position(s):
Location: Ottawa Hills High School (9-12)
Additional Information: Position Title: School Counselor
Bargaining Unit: Grand Rapids Education Association (GREA)
Salary: $41,674 and comprehensive benefits package
Earning Days: 195 Days or as annually determined by the Superintendent
GRPS Mission: Our mission is to ensure that all students are educated, self-directed and productive members of society.
Job Summary: As a member of the instructional team, the counselor provides a comprehensive guidance program for students in grades 9-12. The counselor also provides activities to meet the needs of the students, consults with teachers, staff, parents and post-secondary institutions to enhance their effectiveness in helping students become college and/or career ready.
Essential Job Functions: Essential functions, according to the Americans with Disabilities Act, may include any of the duties, knowledge and skills outlined in this job description. This list is illustrative only, and is not a comprehensive listing of all functions and duties performed by employees in this position. Employees are required to be in attendance and prepared to begin work at their assigned work location on the specified days and hours. Factors such as regular attendance at the job are not routinely listed in job descriptions, but are an essential function. Essential duties and responsibilities may include, but are not limited to the following:
Job Functions: - Implement the Michigan Comprehensive Guidance and Counseling Program.
- Guide and counsel groups and individual students through the development of educational development plans.
- Counsel small groups and individual students concerning relevant and current issues.
- Consult with teaching faculty, staff and parents regarding the developmental needs of students.
- Refer students as needed to appropriate community resources in consultation with their parents.
- Participate in, coordinate, or conduct activities which contribute to the effective operation of the school.
- Evaluate and revise the building monthly guidance audits as needed with counselor coordinator’s and principal’s approval.
- Assist in the transition of students from elementary to middle school, middle school to high school, and high school to post-secondary education or vocational education.
- Pursue professional growth.
- Participate as a member of the school’s “Wheel” of support for students including having an identified caseload of students.
- Collect required data on students being served.
- Work with teachers, the Dean of Accountability, and other support groups for students as needed.
- Keep a weekly log and/or plan of activities as part of documentation for the school improvement plan.
- Collects, organizes, and analyzes information about individual students through records, tests, interviews, and professional sources, to appraise their interests, aptitudes, abilities, personality characteristics, to assist those students and their parents with vocational and educational planning.
- Assist students and families with the high school course selection process according to state requirements and scheduling students into courses.
- Assist with the building of the school’s master schedule.
- Other responsibilities as assigned
Educations and Experience: - Master’s Degree in school counseling is required.
- Current or valid Michigan Counseling License is required.
- Professional experience at the secondary level is preferred.
- Demonstrated understanding of district and state graduation requirements.
- Demonstrated understanding of the ASCA school model
- Demonstrated ability to work with students/parents in a large urban district.
- Demonstrated respect for confidentiality.
- Demonstrated excellent computer skills (MS Office).
- Demonstrated excellent communication skills.
- Knowledge and understanding of facilitating small or large guidance groups.
- Demonstrated ability to work as a member of the team.
- Demonstrated ability to problem solve.
ADA Requirements: The physical demands, work environment factors, and mental functions described below are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Physical Demands: While performing the duties of this job, the employee is required to stand, walk, sit, use hands to finger, handle, or feel, reach with hands and arms, climb or balance, stoop, kneel, crouch, or crawl, talk, hear (in a quiet or noisy environment), taste and smell. The employee must occasionally lift and/or move up to 40 pounds. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, distance vision and ability to adjust/focus.
Work Environment: The noise level in the work environment is usually loud to moderate. Work is performed indoors although there will be required outdoor activities. The employee is directly responsible for the safety, well-being and work output of students.
Mental Functions: While performing the duties of this job, the employee is required to compare, analyze, communicate both orally and in writing, copy, coordinate, instruct, compute, synthesize, evaluate, use interpersonal skills, compile and negotiate.
If you are interested in submitting your application to this position click on
the "Apply Now" button above. You must register with Eduation America Network to complete the application process.
Registration is free and only takes a few minutes. You will be asked to verify you email address. Once your email address
is verified and you complete the registration process you will be able to apply to this and other jobs posted on Education
The job posting above from Grand Rapids Public Schools may require
certification levels, qualifications or eligibility requirements for
being employed in the United States or the state of Michigan. Please read the
carefully! DO NOT apply or send unsolicited resumes if you do not meet the
requirements listed by Grand Rapids Public Schools in their postings.
Please quote the Education America Network
in your application to this job