Kansas City Kansas Public Schools is seeking qualified applicants for the following position(s):
Early Childhood Special Education Teacher
Job Goal: To facilitate student comprehension and application of concepts, skills and behaviors that contribute to the development of mature, able and responsible member of society. To ensure continuous improvement in state and national performance levels to prepare students for college and careers in a global society, and at every level, performance is on-track and on-time for success.
Essential Functions: - Ability to implement 21st Century Skills into the curriculum.
- Ability to work a full duty day in the location or locations assigned.
- In order to maximize student achievement, teachers should be able to assess student abilities as related to desired educational goals, objective, student outcomes and Head Start Performance Standards.
- Plans and employs a variety of appropriate instruction/learning strategies and activities which are compatible with the physical facility but serve the needs and capabilities of the students.
- In order to provide a general environment conducive to the learning process, the teacher should be able to manage the behavior of learners in the classroom and participate in the management of student behavior in other parts of the site.
- Continually communicates to students and parents (either in writing or verbally) instructional expectations, student progress or lack of progress.
- Continually assesses the student achievement and maintains appropriate assessment and evaluation documentation for institutions and individual reporting purposes.
- Actively participates in and works with other program personnel in planning effective instructional goals, objectives, methods and curriculum.
- Participates in professional growth and development activities including staff meetings, and in-service and staff development activities as required or assigned.
- Assists in the documentation of student progress by efficiently maintaining and submitting appropriate records and reports.
- Ensures that the classroom and/or instructional environment is attractive, healthful, safe and conducive to learning.
- Actively participates in extra curricular activities as requested by the principal.
- Participate as a regular teacher in IEP meetings for IDEA students.
- Good knowledge of content, curriculum, methods, materials and equipment of instructional specialty to which assigned.
- Good knowledge of student growth and development applicable to the grade assigned.
- Good knowledge of early childhood program of studies related to mission, goals and organization.
- Continually study and learn current research and theory.
- Ability to plan and implement lessons based on curriculum objectives and the needs and abilities of students.
- Ability to establish and maintain effective relationships with students, parents and peers, including serving as a family advocate in the district-wide Family Advocate System and participation in home visits.
- Skilled and effective in oral and written communication.
- Excellent human relations skills.
- Physical and emotional ability and dexterity to perform required work and move about as needed in the fast-paced, high-intensive work environment.
- Ability to move around the room in order to effectively monitor student work and behavior.
- Possess the patience, caring and desire needed to work with the students and parents to see that each student has the opportunity to succeed.
- Take attendance and keep attendance registers, according to Board policy.
- Know and follow Section 504 and IDEA amendments.
- Be courteous and professional at all times.
- Maintain a neat and professional appearance.
- Other duties as assigned
Qualifications: Meets the employment qualifications set forth by the Kansas City, Kansas Board of Education and the Kansas State Department of Education.
Kansas teaching certificate in early childhood education, early childhood unified, early childhood special education or early childhood endorsement.
English as a Second Language endorsement preferred or be committed to obtaining that endorsement.
Communication: Maintains communication with teachers, other program personnel, and parents/guardians to enhance cooperative action that will meet the educational needs of students.
Provides health services, information, and counseling in an effective and positive manner to enhance the health and wellness of the school community.
Completes accident/incident reports for students/staff.
Organization: Maintains a daily log of school/staff visits and documentation.
Maintains the daily environment of the health office facility and supplies.
Utilizes existing technology effectively in the performance of duties.
Performs other related work as required.
Reasoning Ability: Ability to solve practical problems and deal with a variety of concrete variables in situations where only limited standardization exists. Ability to interpret a variety of instructions furnished in written, oral, diagram, or schedule form.
Language Skills: Ability to read and analyze and interpret general professional journals, technical procedures, or governmental regulations. Ability to write reports, general curriculum and learning theories, correspondence, and protocols. Ability to effectively present information and respond to questions from groups of administrators, staff, parents, students, and the general public.
Physical Demands: The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to sit, walk, stand and talk or hear. The employee must occasionally lift and/or move up to 50 pounds. The employee must occasionally push items of 50 pounds such as pushing on a bike or wheelchair, or moving/rearranging furniture. While performing the duties of the job the employee occasionally may visit a child’s home. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, distance vision, and depth perception.
Work Environment: The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
The noise level in the work environment is usually loud and is a standard acceptable level for this environment. Is directly responsible for students’ safety, work output and well-being.
Other Skills and Abilities: Ability to apply knowledge of current research and theory to instructional program; ability to plan and implement lessons based on division and school objectives and the needs and abilities of students. Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with students, peers, parents and community; ability to speak clear and concisely in written or oral communication.
Terms of Employment: 186 days – This is a Grant Funded position. Hire and contract renewal is contingent upon the grant/fund source and KCKPS Board of Education approval.
Salary: Based on KCKPS Salary Schedule
FLSA Status: EXEMPT
Reports To: Special Education Administration/Principal
Evaluation: Performance will be evaluated in accordance with Board of Education
Primary Location: TBD (to be determined)
Salary Range: Per Year
Shift Type: Full-Time
If you are interested in submitting your application to this position click on
the "Apply Now" button above. You must register with Eduation America Network to complete the application process.
Registration is free and only takes a few minutes. You will be asked to verify you email address. Once your email address
is verified and you complete the registration process you will be able to apply to this and other jobs posted on Education
The job posting above from Kansas City Kansas Public Schools may require
certification levels, qualifications or eligibility requirements for
being employed in the United States or the state of Kansas. Please read the
carefully! DO NOT apply or send unsolicited resumes if you do not meet the
requirements listed by Kansas City Kansas Public Schools in their postings.
Please quote the Education America Network
in your application to this job