Fort Wayne Community Schoolsis seeking qualified applicants for the following position(s):
Counselor - Middle School
Description: Provide a variety of counseling and guidance services to promote and enhance student development and achievement. Assess student needs and provide assistance in identifying, developing and meeting personal, vocational and educational goals and objectives. Organize, develop and implement a comprehensive and developmental guidance and counseling program and related services to meet school and student needs.
This is a school year administrative position.
Salary: $44,999.00 - $72,691.00
Areas of Certification: School Counselor
Additional Job Information: Position may be filled prior to posting close date.
1. Provide a variety of counseling and guidance services to promote and enhance student development and achievement. Monitor, assess, identify and respond to the needs, issues and problems of students. Provide guidance and advisement to students regarding academics, course selections, schedules, and other academic matters.
2. Assess student needs and provide assistance in identifying, developing and meeting personal, vocational and educational goals and objectives. Assist students with developing educational, vocational and career plans and strategies. Develop and implement individual student plans in accordance with identified issues, needs, goals and objectives.
3. Provide responsive services to students and parents through consultation, individual and group counseling and crisis counseling. Refer students and families to school and community educational programs, services and educational and vocational resources according to identified needs, interests, goals and objectives.
4. Organize, develop and implement a comprehensive and developmental guidance and counseling program and related services to meet school and student needs. Provide technical assistance in support of program management and operations
5. Assist in developing guidance curriculum though classroom activities, group activities, proactive discipline programs and activities, and parent education. Monitor, evaluate and revise the building-level guidance program related to the ongoing assessment of school needs and FWCS comprehensive guidance and counseling services. Provide and support classroom guidance.
6. Evaluate the educational needs of students and make recommendations to appropriate administrators concerning student placement. Assist students with class registration, scheduling and program changes as needed, including assistance with master scheduling.
7. Serve as a liaison between students, faculty, staff, administrators, outside agencies, advisory councils and the community regarding counseling services, students and activities. Participate in community outreach activities to facilitate and enhance resources and services available to students, and assist with referrals to community services.
8. Administer and score a variety of standardized tests to assess educational aptitude, skills and interests. Utilize appropriate testing instruments. Evaluate and interpret test results to students, parents, educators, institutions, outside agencies and others. Act as testing coordinator.
9. Advise parents concerning practices, procedures and techniques involved in enhancing the success and opportunities available to their children. Assist students and families with resolving various issues, problems and conflicts. Advise students concerning various family issues such as parental separation and divorce. Conduct group counseling sessions as needed.
10. Coordinate, conduct or participate in various school support services such as the special education case conference process, PTA Council, Crisis Response Team and take lead on RTI Team. Participate in 21st Century Scholars Program. Act as PAR for special education case conferences.
11. Advise and consult students concerning vocational skill development, careers, occupational services and employment, educational and training opportunities. Develop and enhance career planning skills among students.
12. Promote understanding of career development competencies such as the relationship between educational achievement and career planning, the need for positive attitudes toward work and learning, and skills involved in locating, evaluating and interpreting career information.
13. Provide information and assistance to students to facilitate and enhance transition from elementary school to secondary school.
14. Coordinate, conduct, oversee and participate in various school activities such as before and after school supervision, day and evening school programs and events, year-end awards, and extra-curricular programs.
15. Provide information to the Principal concerning performance issues with certified and non-certified staff. Provide input concerning employee evaluations, discipline and employment procedures as requested. Assist with teacher interviews.
16. Research, compile, assemble and analyze a variety of educational information related to assigned students, counseling services and activities. Compile DCS report, and other reports as requested.
17. Attend and participate in in-service training activities as directed.
18. Perform related duties as assigned by the Administrator to meet the particular needs of the building/unit.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to speak and hear. The employee is required to have dexterity of hands and fingers. The employee is required to sit or stand for extended periods of time. They may be occasionally required to bend at the waist, kneel or crouch. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, and ability to adjust focus. While performing the duties of this job the employee is seated or walking at will and has limited physical labor.
Qualifications: Any combination equivalent to: bachelor's degree and graduate courses needed to meet educational licensing requirements. Must have strong analytical, computer, and oral and written communication skills. Must possess advanced knowledge of specialized aspects, methods, processes, principles, practices, procedures and terminology used in assigned field. Must be licensed as a counselor in the State of Indiana by the IDOE.
If you are interested in submitting your application to this position click on
the "Apply Now" button above. You must register with Eduation America Network to complete the application process.
Registration is free and only takes a few minutes. You will be asked to verify you email address. Once your email address
is verified and you complete the registration process you will be able to apply to this and other jobs posted on Education
The job posting above from Fort Wayne Community Schools may require
certification levels, qualifications or eligibility requirements for
being employed in the United States or the state of Indiana. Please read the
carefully! DO NOT apply or send unsolicited resumes if you do not meet the
requirements listed by Fort Wayne Community Schools in their postings.
Please quote the Education America Network
in your application to this job