Special Education (Deaf & Hard of Hearing)
School / Org:
No. of Positions:
Friday, 07 September 2018
Sunday, 30 December 2018
Omaha Public Schools is seeking qualified applicants for the following position(s):
Deaf and Hard of Hearing Teacher (HI Teacher)
Location: Washington Elementary
Reports To: Building Principal
Work Schedule: 189 days as per negotiated agreement / Exempt
Salary Schedule: As outlined in applicable negotiated agreement
Position Purpose: The hearing impaired teacher in a classroom setting serves students who are deaf or hard of hearing. The teacher teaches curriculum and compensatory skills which will enable students to be successful while participating in the general education setting. The teacher works with sign language interpreters that are assigned to the classroom to support the communication needs of the students.
Essential Performance Responsibilities: - Plans for and guides the learning process to help students achieve their hearing-impaired program objectives.
- Planning and instruction which emphasizes concept development, language acquisition and basic skills within the self-contained classroom to the general education classroom.
- Collaborates with other supports (audiologists, sign language interpreters) to meet student needs.
- Maintains a classroom atmosphere conducive to learning.
- Positively fosters students’ self-esteem.
Implements useful diagnostic and progress assessment measures.
- Selects and uses effective instructional methods and learning materials.
- Engaging in professional growth activities through an ongoing program of job related knowledge and skill development.
- Organizes and maintains a system for accurate and complete record-keeping, grading, and reporting for all student activities, achievement and attendance as required by district procedures and applicable laws.
- Maintains open lines of communications with parents, guardians and staff.
- Working with and understanding a diverse student population.
- Evidence of the willingness and the ability to comply with the standards with ethical and professional performance established by district policy as well as the State Board of Education.
- Works collaboratively to achieve the overall purpose of the school’s program and support the District’s vision, aims and goals.
Additional Duties: Performs other related tasks as assigned by the Principal and other central office administrators as designated by the Superintendent.
Equipment: This position may require the ability to use SMART boards and iPads in addition to basic office equipment such as computers, copiers, scanners, and fax machine. Must always comply with OPS’s guidelines for equipment use.
Travel: Limited travel may be required.
Physical and Mental Demands, Work Hazards: - Must be able to respond rapidly in emergency situations.
- Must have organization, time management, communication, and interpersonal skills.
- Work in school building environments.
Interrelations: - Contact with personnel within the district and with customers and vendors.
- Will be working under the direct supervision of the department supervisor in order to complete day to day tasks.
- Will be working with a diverse population requiring the ability to handle all situations with tact and diplomacy.
- Must understand and respond appropriately to customer needs and maintain a positive attitude with all customers and colleagues.
- Expected to interact with all internal and external customers in a friendly, professional manner and provide quick, responsive customer service.
Employee Punctuality and Appearance: - In order for schools to operate effectively, employees are expected to perform all assigned duties and work all scheduled hours during each designated workday, unless the employee has received approved leave.
- Any deviation from assigned hours must have prior approval from the employee’s supervisor or building administrator.
- All employees are required to report to work dressed in a manner that reflects a positive image of Omaha Public Schools and is appropriate for their position.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities: - Bachelor’s Degree in Special Education required.
- Obtain and maintain a valid Nebraska Teaching License with endorsement in Deaf or Hard of Hearing.
- Knowledge of current teaching methods and educational pedagogy.
- Knowledge of applicable federal and state laws regarding education and students.
- Excellent attendance record.
- Professional verification of successful classroom teacher performance and/or student teaching experience.
- Evidence of the willingness and ability to comply with standards for ethical and professional performance established by the State Board of Education.
- This individual will exhibit skills pertinent to foster positive human relationships and the ability to work effectively with students, staff, parents and the community.
- Skill in organization, time management, communication, and positive interpersonal skills.
- Excellent skills in verbal and written communication.
- A demonstrated philosophy that all students can and will learn.
- Ability to understand the individual needs of each student.
- Ability to effectively use Microsoft Outlook and the student information system.
- Displays a significant degree of professionalism and confidentiality.
- Ability to conform to proper standards of professional dress and appearance.
- Knowledge of OPS’s mission, purpose, goals and the role of every employee in achieving each of them.
Terms of Employment: This position is treated as a full-time exempt certified position. The terms of your employment will be governed by applicable state laws regulating employment or teaching in a Nebraska public school and Board of Education policies, as those laws and policies may change from time to time, and the Teacher Contract. If your position is represented by a collective bargaining representative, then your employment will also be governed by a negotiated agreement between OPS and that collective bargaining representative.
Terms of employment are contingent upon:
- Verification of a valid Nebraska Teaching License or other required license.
- A background check which demonstrates background is acceptable for the position sought and working with or around students.
- Verification of U.S. Citizenship or legal authorization to work in the United States.
- Successful completion of a tuberculosis skin test (if required by federal law for your position).
- Execution and delivery to OPS of a Teacher Contract presented by OPS.
If you are interested in submitting your application to this position click on
the "Apply Now" button above. You must register with Eduation America Network to complete the application process.
Registration is free and only takes a few minutes. You will be asked to verify you email address. Once your email address
is verified and you complete the registration process you will be able to apply to this and other jobs posted on Education
The job posting above from Omaha Public Schools may require
certification levels, qualifications or eligibility requirements for
being employed in the United States or the state of Nebraska. Please read the
carefully! DO NOT apply or send unsolicited resumes if you do not meet the
requirements listed by Omaha Public Schools in their postings.
Please quote the Education America Network
in your application to this job