Grand Rapids Public Schools is seeking qualified applicants for the following position(s):
Location: Dickinson Elementary School (PreK-8)
Additional Information: Position Title: Principal
Location: Elementary School
Bargaining Unit: Professional Administrative Exempt
Salary: $73,896 and comprehensive benefits package
Earning Days: 212 or as annually determined by the Superintendent
GRPS Mission: Our mission is to ensure that all students are educated, self-directed and productive members of society.
Job Summary: The elementary principal serves as the educational and administrative leader of the school. Achieving academic excellence requires that the principal work collaboratively to lead and nurture all members of the school staff and to communicate effectively with parents, members of the community, and colleagues in other districts and schools. Inherent in the position are the responsibilities for planning, curriculum development, program evaluation, extracurricular activities, personnel management, financial management, emergency procedures, resource scheduling, and facilities operations. The principal also serves as a champion for the school and the District. As such, recruitment and retention of students and maintaining high visibility in the community are essential functions of this position.
Essential Job Functions: Essential functions, according to the Americans with Disabilities Act, may include any of the duties, knowledge and skills outlined in this job description. This list is illustrative only, and is not a comprehensive listing of all functions and duties performed by employees in this position. Employees are required to be in attendance and prepared to begin work at their assigned work location on the specified days and hours. Factors such as regular attendance at the job are not routinely listed in job descriptions, but are an essential function. Essential duties and responsibilities may include, but are not limited to the following:
Instructional Job Functions: - Lead, organize and implement the school improvement planning process
- Ensure that teachers understand and deliver standards based instruction through the utilization of the Districtís approved curriculum and provide appropriate assessments to ensure student learning and growth
- Ensure that staff receives appropriate professional learning including utilizing professional learning communities
- Ensure that data is utilized to drive, inform, and differentiate instruction Ensure that culturally responsive teaching techniques and strategies are utilized to enhance student learning and growth.
- Utilize the evaluation process to provide timely feedback for staff and student development and growth
- Provide appropriate social-emotional and community-oriented services and supports for students.
- With the assistance of special education administrative staff, lead the special education referral process. Provide for the appropriate inclusion of special education students in the total school environment.
- Implement and monitor Positive Behavior Support (PBIS) systems as a means of nurturing school climate and an Effort-Based Learning Environment.
- Ensure that the Response to Intervention Plan for the school is implemented.
- Ensure that resources for English Language Learners are allocated and that students are receiving appropriate services.
- Promote a school environment that will enable learning to occur in a meaningful manner in a climate of high expectations for self, staff, student and parents.
- Utilize restorative justice practices and implement alternatives to out-of-school suspensions.
- Provide ongoing mechanisms for family and community involvement.
- Develop and maintain community partnerships that enhance and support instruction leading to student achievement.
- Interact with students, parents, staff and community in positive, supportive and collaborative ways.
- Utilize Implement alternatives to out-of-school
Administrative Job Functions: - Ensure that the procedures and policies of the District are implemented with fidelity.
- Recruit and implement processes to recruit and retain students
- Prepare budget and administer expenditure records per District procedures and policies
- Facilitate and lead the supervision of staff including ensuring appropriate staffing levels and evaluation per District policies and procedures.
- Facilitate the operation, maintenance and use of the school building and grounds.
- Procure and provide for effective use of instructional materials, equipment and supplies.
- Coordinate the unique needs of students and human services agencies through inter-agency collaboration.
- Plan and coordinate extra-curricular activities for students.
- Provide for the supervision of students during non-instructional hours (before school, lunch, after school, bus loading and unloading).
- Maintain and up-to-date inventory of equipment books and supplies.
- Ensure the building/program operations are in compliance pursuant to all District, local, state and federal laws and guidelines.
- Be visible in the community and promote the school and the Grand Rapids Public Schools
- Perform other relevant duties and responsibilities as assigned.
Education and Experience Required
- Bachelorís degree
- At least five years successful teaching experience at the elementary level or administrative experience.
- A valid Michigan school administratorís certificate, or not later than 6 months after employment begins, enroll in a program leading to certification as a school administrator. Completion of the program must occur within 3 years of hire.
- A Masterís Degree in Administration, Supervision, or Education
- Experience as a principal of an urban school district
- Demonstrated leadership in working with staff, students, and community in a multicultural environment.
- Demonstrated experience with the multiplicity of issues of an urban school district.
- Demonstrated ability to effectively communicate both orally and in writing with diverse populations.
- Demonstrated professional and personal expertise in best practices and research in reading, writing instruction, effort based instruction and culturally responsive pedagogy.
- Demonstrated knowledge and experience with principles of learning, balanced literacy reading framework and disciplinary literacy or willingness to learn and participate in training
- Demonstrated administrative ability and experience in collaborative skills and attitudes to work with others in teams, effective interpersonal communication skills, creativity, optimism, problem solving and flexibility.
- The employee will frequently interact with the public and other staff and regularly work extended hours.
ADA Requirements: The physical demands, work environment factors, and mental functions described below are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
PHYSICAL DEMANDS: While performing the duties of this job, the employee is required to stand, walk, sit, use hands to finger, handle, or feel, reach with hands and arms, climb or balance, stoop, kneel, crouch, or crawl, talk, hear (in a quiet or noisy environment), taste and smell. The employee must occasionally lift and/or move up to 40 pounds. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, distance vision and ability to adjust/focus.
WORK ENVIRONMENT: The noise level in the work environment is usually loud to moderate. Work is performed indoors although there will be required outdoor activities. The employee is directly responsible for the safety, well-being and work output of students.
If you are interested in submitting your application to this position click on
the "Apply Now" button above. You must register with Eduation America Network to complete the application process.
Registration is free and only takes a few minutes. You will be asked to verify you email address. Once your email address
is verified and you complete the registration process you will be able to apply to this and other jobs posted on Education
The job posting above from Grand Rapids Public Schools may require
certification levels, qualifications or eligibility requirements for
being employed in the United States or the state of Michigan. Please read the
carefully! DO NOT apply or send unsolicited resumes if you do not meet the
requirements listed by Grand Rapids Public Schools in their postings.
Please quote the Education America Network
in your application to this job