Omaha Public Schools is seeking qualified applicants for the following position(s):
Special Education Alternate Curriculum Program Teacher - District Pool
Reports To: Building Principal
Work Schedule/FLSA Status: As per negotiated agreement / Exempt
Salary Schedule: As outlined in applicable negotiated agreement
Position Purpose: Plans for, teaches and facilitates learning for students. Provides instruction that is focused on functional academics, social and vocational training. Creates a positive learning environment. Maintains progress, records, and discipline. Provides students with opportunities to participate in integrative classes and activities with general education peers as appropriate. Works collaboratively with students, parents, building staff, and other Individual Education Program team members to provide and implement classroom education and IEP services to meet the needs of all students. Maintains a safe classroom environment with clearly defined expectations with consistent procedures and routines.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities: - Bachelor’s Degree in Special Education required.
- Ability to obtain and maintain a valid NE Teaching Certificate with endorsement Special Education.
- Excellent attendance record.
- Professional verification of successful classroom teacher performance and/or student teaching experience.
- Evidence of the willingness and ability to comply with standards for ethical and professional performance established by the State Board of Education.
- Ability and patience to work interactively with students.
- This individual will exhibit skills pertinent to foster positive human relationships and the ability to work effectively with students, staff, parents and the community.
- Skill in organization, time management, communication, and positive interpersonal skills.
- Ability to deliver teaching instruction in accordance with approved curriculum and standards.
- Ability to conform to proper standards of professional dress and appearance.
- Excellent skills in verbal and written communication.
- A demonstrated philosophy that all students can and will learn.
- Ability to understand the individual needs of each student.
- Ability to effectively use Microsoft Outlook and the student information system.
- Displays a significant degree of professionalism and confidentiality.
- Knowledge of current teaching methods and educational pedagogy.
- Knowledge of applicable federal and state laws regarding education and special education students.
- Knowledge of OPS’s mission, purpose, goals and the role of every employee in achieving each of them.
Essential Performance Responsibilities: - Developing students’ cognitive, emotional and social capacities for learning.
- Maintaining a classroom atmosphere conducive to enhancing interpersonal relationships, social skills, problem resolution, and decision making while achieving academic success.
- Plans for and uses paraprofessionals effectively to support the students
- Develops lesson plans and instructional materials and translates lesson plans into learning experiences so as to best utilize the available time for instruction
- Completes Functional Behavior Assessment (FBA) and Behavior Intervention Plan (BIP) as needed based on individual student needs.
- Positively fosters students’ self-esteem.
- Working with and understanding a diverse student population.
- Integration for social skills, technology, and communication into the curriculum.
- Plans for and guides the learning process to help students achieve their program objectives.
- Implements useful diagnostic and progress assessment measures.
- Selects and uses effective instructional methods and learning materials.
- Support the ongoing curriculum development of the program.
- Establishes a cooperative relationship with all assigned students.
- Maintains open lines of communications with parents, guardians and staff.
- Engages in professional growth activities through an ongoing program of job-related knowledge and skill development.
- Organizes and maintains a system for accurate and complete record-keeping and lesson planning and student progress toward IEP goals as required by district procedures and applicable laws.
- Evidence of the willingness and the ability to comply with the standards with ethical and professional performance established by district policy as well as the State Board of Education.
- Continues to acquire professional knowledge and learn of current developments in the educational field by attending seminars, workshops or professional meetings, or by conducting research.
- Instructs students in the principles of responsible citizenship and other subject matters specified in applicable laws, as well as administrative regulations and procedures of the Omaha Public Schools.
- Coordinates with other school professional staff members and participates in faculty meetings and committees.
- Works collaboratively to achieve the overall purpose of the program and support the District’s vision, aims and goals.
Additional Duties: Performs other related tasks as assigned by the Central Office Administrators as designated by the Superintendent.
Equipment: This position may require the ability to use assistive technology in addition to basic office equipment such as computers, copiers, scanners, and fax machine. Must always comply with OPS’s guidelines for equipment use.
Travel: Limited travel may be required.
Physical and Mental Demands, Work Hazards: - Must be able to respond rapidly in emergency situations.
- Must have organization, time management, communication, and interpersonal skills.
- Work in school building environments.
Interrelations: - Contact with personnel within the district and with other stakeholders.
- Will be working under the direct supervision of the department supervisor in order to complete day to day tasks.
- Will be working with a diverse population requiring the ability to handle all situations with tact and diplomacy.
- Must understand and respond appropriately to stakeholders needs and maintain a positive attitude with all customers and colleagues.
- Expected to interact with all internal and external stakeholders in a friendly, professional manner and provide quick, responsive
Employee Punctuality and Appearance: - In order for schools to operate effectively, employees are expected to perform all assigned duties and work all scheduled hours during each designated workday, unless the employee has received approved leave.
- Any deviation from assigned hours must have prior approval from the employee’s supervisor or building administrator.
- All employees are required to report to work dressed in a manner that reflects a positive image of Omaha Public Schools and is appropriate for their position.
Terms of Employment: This position is treated as a full-time exempt certified position. The terms of your employment will be governed by applicable state laws regulating employment or teaching in a Nebraska public school and Board of Education policies, as those laws and policies may change from time to time, and the Teacher Contract. If your position is represented by a collective bargaining representative, then your employment will also be governed by a negotiated agreement between OPS and that collective bargaining representative.
Terms of employment are contingent upon: - Verification of a valid Nebraska Teaching License or other required license.
- A background check which demonstrates background is acceptable for the position sought and working with or around students.
- Verification of U.S. Citizenship or legal authorization to work in the United States.
- Successful completion of a tuberculosis skin test (if required by federal law for your position).
- Execution and delivery to OPS of a Teacher Contract presented by OPS.
If you are interested in submitting your application to this position click on
the "Apply Now" button above. You must register with Eduation America Network to complete the application process.
Registration is free and only takes a few minutes. You will be asked to verify you email address. Once your email address
is verified and you complete the registration process you will be able to apply to this and other jobs posted on Education
The job posting above from Omaha Public Schools may require
certification levels, qualifications or eligibility requirements for
being employed in the United States or the state of Nebraska. Please read the
carefully! DO NOT apply or send unsolicited resumes if you do not meet the
requirements listed by Omaha Public Schools in their postings.
Please quote the Education America Network
in your application to this job