School / Org:
Kennedy High School
Cedar Rapids, Iowa
No. of Positions:
Friday, 02 November 2018
Open Until Filled
Cedar Rapids Community Schools is seeking qualified applicants for the following position(s):
High School AP Seminar Teacher
Location: Kennedy High School
Additional Information: AP Seminar Teacher - 1 Class Period Per Day - (.17 FTE)
Description: Teacher will teach the AP Seminar Class. The course guides students through the academic research process as they work to develop their inquiry-based project. Teachers of this course must have experience or background in the research process.
Summary: Provides instruction in the curricular areas to students in a high school classroom setting.
Endorsements: Any 5-12 endorsement
Qualifications: Must have valid 9-12 Iowa Teaching License in any subject area and must be willing and able to attend Mandatory Training in Chicago Sept 28-30, 2018.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities: • Creates lesson plans, aligned with Iowa Core Curriculum and district standards, which drives instruction through formative assessment and differentiation in a high school classroom setting
• Effectively works with the building and district level Professional Learning Community
• Differentiate instruction to support students’ needs and achievement of academic goals.
• Provides active communication and positive relationships with parents and community members.
• Assists in planning and delivery of social/emotional/behavioral school-wide programming.
• Assists and collaborates with the principal, school counselor, staff, parents and students on matters pertaining to teaching and learning.
• Maintains appropriate records, and protects the confidentiality of data.
• Meets the 8 Iowa Teaching Standards and 42 criteria on a consistent basis.
• Reports to work as scheduled on a regular and reliable basis.
• Establishes and maintains standards of student behavior needed to provide an orderly, productive classroom environment.
• Uses available technology/instructional media to enhance the students’ learning experiences.
• Attends and participates in staff meetings and extra-curricular/school related activities and committees.
• Other duties as assigned.
Essential Functions: To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodation(s) may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Education and/or Experience: - Bachelor’s degree in Education required.
- In addition, the specific skills/educational qualifications for this include:
LANGUAGE SKILLS: Ability to read, analyze, interpret, and implement ideas contained in technical documents, assessment data, professional journals and regulations. Ability to effectively write reports and communications to students, colleagues, parents and staff. Ability to effectively present information orally and respond to questions from administrators, teachers, staff and students. Ability to assist students in the areas of language and literacy.
MATHEMATICAL SKILLS: Ability to perform basic mathematical functions such as addition, subtraction, multiplication, division, percentages, decimals and fractions. Ability to assist students in implementing these mathematical concepts.
REASONING ABILITY: Ability to solve problems effectively. Ability to interpret a variety of instructions furnished in written, oral, diagram or schedule form.
REQUIRED DISPOSITIONS: - Believes that all children can attain high levels of learning.
- Takes responsibility for the learning of our children and his/her own performance.
- Possesses the knowledge and skills to build effective educational experiences that benefit all children.
- Applies the principles of continuous improvement through the use of quality tools and processes.
- Functions as an effective member of the educational/school team.
- Won’t shy from today’s educational challenges.
- Utilizes effective interpersonal skills.
- Has a track record of success.
- Works with great integrity.
CERTIFICATES, LICENSES, REGISTRATIONS: Iowa Teaching Certification with an endorsement in content area required.
OTHER SKILLS and ABILITIES: Ability to apply knowledge of current research as it relates to the support of the Educational Goals of the District. Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with students, staff and the school community. Ability to speak clearly and concisely both in oral and written communication. Ability to perform duties with awareness of all district requirements and Board of Education policies.
PHYSICAL DEMANDS: The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is frequently required to stand; walk; use hands and fingers to handle and/or feel objects, tools or controls; talk and hear. The employee frequently must squat, stoop or kneel, reach above the head and forward 0 -24 inches and on occasion up to 36 inches. The employee continuously uses hand strength to grasp items. The employee will frequently bend or twist at the neck and trunk more than the average person while performing the duties of this job. The employee must frequently lift and/or move up to 50 pounds 0 - 12 feet and occasionally up to 20 feet, such as curriculum materials, desks, chairs, and boxes. The employee will sometimes push/pull items such as tables and carts. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, color vision and the ability to adjust focus while supervising students and working with computers, written materials, reports, assessment data, etc.
WORK ENVIRONMENT: The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
The noise level in the work environment is moderately quiet. The position requires the commitment of professional working hours that may require the employee to extend beyond a typical 8:00 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. workday. (Summer hours require a 4 day work week with 10 hour working days, Monday through Thursday.) The employee will frequently work in different areas of the building including in/at desks, on or near the floor, standing. The employee will usually work in indoor temperatures.
The information contained in this job description is in compliance with the Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA) and is not an exhaustive list of the duties performed for this position. Additional duties are performed by the individual holding this position and additional duties may be assigned.
If you are interested in submitting your application to this position click on
the "Apply Now" button above. You must register with Eduation America Network to complete the application process.
Registration is free and only takes a few minutes. You will be asked to verify you email address. Once your email address
is verified and you complete the registration process you will be able to apply to this and other jobs posted on Education
The job posting above from Cedar Rapids Community Schools may require
certification levels, qualifications or eligibility requirements for
being employed in the United States or the state of Iowa. Please read the
carefully! DO NOT apply or send unsolicited resumes if you do not meet the
requirements listed by Cedar Rapids Community Schools in their postings.
Please quote the Education America Network
in your application to this job