Indianapolis Public Schools is seeking qualified applicants for the following position(s):
Special Education Learning Community Director
Location or Department: Special Education
Purpose of Position/Summary: Performs a variety of supervisory, managerial, and administrative tasks to ensure high-quality implementation of special education services and compliance for a K-8, Secondary, or Transformation Zone Learning Community. This is a 12-month administrator position.
Essential Duties/Responsibilities: The Special Education Learning Community Director leads, supervises, and manages special education staff that provide direct supports to schools in their designated Learning Community schools. The Learning Community Special Education Director is specifically responsible for the following:
- Provides direct supervision, in partnership with school leaders, to the daily work of special education compliance, instructional coaching, ensuring adherence to established special education law, policies, procedures, and standards
- Serves as principalís first point of contact beyond building based special education staff for issues related to the day-to-day special education support in their school
- Works with principals to resolve school-based special education concerns and problems
- Assists special education Learning Community staff and school principals in setting and attaining goals for student achievement
- Assists in the coordination and articulation of the districtís special education programs and services across and between grade levels in their Learning Community with a particular focus on students in the inclusion and resource settings.
- Conducts routine on-site visits of assigned schools in the system; provides specific feedback, support, and suggestions to principals to strengthen teaching and learning for students with special needs
- Supports principals in special education human resource management, including recruiting, retaining, and developing special education staff
- Provides technical assistance to principals in working with marginal special education staff
- Assists principals with special education decision-making and problem-solving
- Resolves difficult special education situations quickly and effectively between schools and parents that are not resolved at the school level
- Assists principals in the development of appropriate professional development programs for special education staff
- With Human Resource support, coordinates the staffing of special education positions and ensures support for inducting and retaining personnel
- Serves as chairperson for manifest determination conferences as needed.
- Perform duties assigned by the Special Education Officer
Core Competencies: Critical core competencies for successful performance in this role are:
- Highly-developed communications skills (written/verbal) and interpersonal savvy
- Results/action-orientation; project management skills
- Organizational agility; developed negotiation skills
- Unquestionable personal code of ethics, integrity, diversity and trust
- Able to successfully navigate within varying degrees of ambiguity in a fast-paced environment
- Strong strategic analysis skills
Qualifications: This role provides privileged access to the inner workings of the IPS Special Education Department and to highly sensitive information. The successful candidate will be discrete, high-energy, agile-minded, strategic, proactive, a direct communicator, highly-organized and committed to the vision and values of Indianapolis Public Schools (IPS) and the IPS Special Education Department. In addition, the following standards will generally define the successful incumbent:
- Hold or eligible for Indiana administrator and/or director license;
- Special Education certification;
- Masterís degree in Education Administration, 3 to 5 years of experience as a practitioner and 3 to 5 years of experience as an administrator; or any equivalent combination of training and experience which provides the required knowledge, skills, and abilities;
- Working knowledge of federal and state special education laws, rules, and practices; including IDEA and Article 7
- Broad knowledge of Indiana and IPS special education policies, practices and programs;
- Understanding of IPS Special Education department structures;
- Ability to be creative in developing alternatives to meet IPS Special Education needs;
- A track record of developing and maintaining strong working relationships with and among a diverse group of actors;
- Excellent communication skills and strong analytical and writing capabilities;
- Close attention to detail coupled with the ability to exercise good judgment;
- Strong organizational, oral and written communication, and interpersonal skills;
- Proactive nature; able to anticipate conflicts before they arise;
- Ability to work well independently as well as collaboratively;
- Ability to execute meetings, calls and emails with professionalism, courtesy and accuracy;
- Personal qualities of maturity, humility, strong work ethic, sense of humor, and diligence; and
- Ability to effectively allocate and prioritize time to several tasks to ensure completion of all.
Supervisory Responsibilities/Direct Reports: The IPS Learning Community Special Education Director directly supervises, in partnership with school leaders, the IPS school-based special education instructional coaching, compliance, in the designated Learning Community.
Responsibility: This position directs, in partnership with school leaders, activities of the IPS special education IPS school-based special education instructional coaching, compliance, and requires professionalism and integrity.
Personal Work Relationships: The individual in this position works with a wide range of IPS school staff, district staff and service providers on routine and diverse problems encountered in IPS special education efforts to fulfill its duties. The individual must possess and employ a variety of personal and interpersonal skills in the discharge of the positionís responsibilities. This position requires a positive attitude when dealing with staff. Good judgment, discretion and individual initiative are necessary for the effective discharge of the positionís significant responsibilities.
Physical Effort: The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to use hands to finger, handle, or feel; talk or hear. The employee frequently is required to stand and walk. The employee is occasionally required to sit; reach with hands and arms; and stoop, kneel, crouch, or crawl. The employee must occasionally lift and/or move up to 10 pounds. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, distance vision, peripheral vision, depth perception, and ability to adjust focus.
Working Conditions: The work environment characteristics described in this document are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is occasionally exposed to outside weather conditions. The noise level in the work environment is usually moderate.
If you are interested in submitting your application to this position click on
the "Apply Now" button above. You must register with Eduation America Network to complete the application process.
Registration is free and only takes a few minutes. You will be asked to verify you email address. Once your email address
is verified and you complete the registration process you will be able to apply to this and other jobs posted on Education
The job posting above from Indianapolis Public Schools may require
certification levels, qualifications or eligibility requirements for
being employed in the United States or the state of Indiana. Please read the
carefully! DO NOT apply or send unsolicited resumes if you do not meet the
requirements listed by Indianapolis Public Schools in their postings.
Please quote the Education America Network
in your application to this job