Indianapolis Public Schools is seeking qualified applicants for the following position(s):
Middle School Principal - Longfellow Medical/STEM Magnet
Location or Department: Associate Superintendent
Job Type Description: MISSION: The mission of the Indianapolis Public Schools is to prepare and empower all students for life.
VISION: IPS will be the flagship in innovative urban education, preparing all students to be successful in the global economy.
Summary: Serve as the chief administrator of a school in developing and implementing policies, programs, curriculum activities and budgets in a manner that promotes the educational development of each student and the professional development of each staff member.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities: include the following. Other duties may be assigned.
- Conceptualizes the broad goals of the school and plans accordingly to ensure that procedures and schedules are implemented to carry out the total school.
- Ensures that the school program is compatible with the legal, financial, and organizational structure of the school system. The principal defines the responsibility and accountability of staff members and develops plans for interpreting the school program to the community.
- Provides activities that facilitate the professional growth of the school staff and enhance the quality of the instructional program.
- Identifies the annual objectives for the instructional, extra-curricular, and athletic programs of the school
- Ensures those instructional objectives for a given subject and/or classrooms are developed, and involve the faculty and others in the development of specific curricular objectives to meet the needs of the school program. The principal provides opportunities for staff participation in the school program.
- Evaluates student progress in the instructional program by means that include the maintaining of up-to-date student data. The principal supervises and appraises the performance of the school staff.
- Maintains inter-school system communications and seeks assistance from central office staff to improve performance. - The principal maintains good relationships with students, staff, and parents. The principal complies with established lines of authority.
- Orients and assists new staff members and new students and provides opportunities for their input into the school program.
- Encourages the use of community resources, cooperates with the community in the use of school facilities, interprets the school program for the community, and maintains communication with community members.
- Directs and maintains records on the materials, supplies and equipment, which are necessary to carry out the daily school routine. The principal involves the staff in determining priorities for instructional supplies.
- Organizes, oversees, and provides support to the various services, supplies, materials and equipment provided to carry out the school program. The principal makes use of community resources.
Competency: To perform the job successfully, an individual should demonstrate the following competencies:
Problem Solving - Identifies and resolves problems in a timely manner; Uses reason even when dealing with emotional topics.
Interpersonal - Maintains confidentiality; Remains open to others' ideas and tries new things.
Team Work - Gives and welcomes feedback; Recognizes accomplishments of other team members.
Managing People - Includes staff in planning, decision-making, facilitating and process improvement; Fosters quality focus in others.
Ethics - Works with integrity and ethically.
Organizational Support - Follows policies and procedures; Completes administrative tasks correctly and on time; supports organization's goals and values.
Judgment - Displays willingness to make decisions; Exhibits sound and accurate judgment.
Motivation - Demonstrates persistence and overcomes obstacles.
Professionalism - Treats others with respect and consideration regardless of their status or position; Accepts responsibility for own actions.
Safety and Security - Observes safety and security procedures.
Qualification: To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Education/Experience: Master's degree required. A minimum of three years’ teaching experience and experience in an administrative or supervisory capacity. Must possess successful experiences working with a diverse population of students and faculty.
Language Ability: Ability to read and interpret documents such as safety rules, operating and maintenance instructions, and procedure manuals in English. Ability to write routine reports and correspondence in English. Ability to speak effectively before groups of employees, parents, and students of IPS.
Math Ability: Ability to calculate figures and amounts such as discounts, interest, commissions, proportions, percentages, area, circumference, and volume. Ability to apply concepts of basic algebra and geometry.
Reasoning Ability: Ability to solve practical problems and deal with a variety of concrete variables in situations where only limited standardization exists. Ability to interpret a variety of instructions furnished in written, oral, diagram, or schedule form.
Computer Skills: To perform this job successfully, an individual should have knowledge of word processing, spreadsheet, and database software.
Certificates and Licenses: Applicable Indiana Administration and Supervision license required.
Supervisory Responsibilities: Carries out supervisory responsibilities in accordance with the organization's policies and applicable laws. Responsibilities include interviewing, hiring, and training employees; planning, assigning, and directing work; appraising performance; rewarding and disciplining employees; addressing complaints and resolving problems.
Work Environment: The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is occasionally exposed to outdoor weather conditions. The noise level in the work environment is usually moderate.
Physical Demands: The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
If you are interested in submitting your application to this position click on
the "Apply Now" button above. You must register with Eduation America Network to complete the application process.
Registration is free and only takes a few minutes. You will be asked to verify you email address. Once your email address
is verified and you complete the registration process you will be able to apply to this and other jobs posted on Education
The job posting above from Indianapolis Public Schools may require
certification levels, qualifications or eligibility requirements for
being employed in the United States or the state of Indiana. Please read the
carefully! DO NOT apply or send unsolicited resumes if you do not meet the
requirements listed by Indianapolis Public Schools in their postings.
Please quote the Education America Network
in your application to this job