Director of Education
Director of Instruction
School / Org:
Indianapolis Public Schools
No. of Positions:
Wednesday, 10 October 2018
Open Until Filled
Indianapolis Public Schools is seeking qualified applicants for the following position(s):
Director of Professional Learning
Location or Department: Associate Superintendent
Summary: The Director of Professional Learning plays a critical role in strengthening the districtís efforts to ensure Title I Schools receive high-quality professional learning experiences. The Director of Professional Learning collaborates closely with district leadership, school leaders, and across functional teams to develop the capacity of teachers in delivering high-quality instruction to students. The person in this role will serve as a key connector between the Curriculum & Instruction, School Supervision, and school leadership teams to ensure strategic and intentionally-planned professional development that is grounded in effective curricular and pedagogical decisions at the school level.
Responsibilities and Essential Functions: The following duties are representative of performance expectations.
- Provide vision and strategic direction for the districtís teacher effectiveness and professional learning priorities with a specific focus on growing teacher and school leader practice to effectively drive student achievement.
- Conceptualize the design and delivery of professional learning related to teaching and learning, leadership, and technology integration into classroom instruction.
- Work closely with the Curriculum & Instruction team in developing quality and aligned professional development programs for instructional staff that support educator effectiveness and student achievement in all grades and content areas.
- Coordinate any outside-the-district professional development to increase the likelihood that any programs/events attended are aligned to the direction and focus of the district leadership.
- Lead the assessment, evaluation, and measurement of the impact of all programs that facilitate the professional development and continuous learning of staff.
- Lead and coordinate all professional development aligned to the districtís instructional vision and priorities.
- Provide job-embedded professional learning for teachers, leaders, and other school-based support personnel to ensure alignment to instructional programs and Destination Excellence goals.
- Coordinate with human capital partners and instructional leadership directors to support the teacher observation and evaluation processes, including training, calibration, effective feedback and talent management.
- Support school leaders and teachers in the analysis and strategic use of multiple sources of teacher performance data to foster personal reflection and growth.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
Skills and Abilities Required: The following characteristics and physical skills are important for the successful performance of assigned duties.
Knowledge and Expertise
- Knowledge of research and best practices in the field of adult learning and building the capacity of educators, school, and district leaders.
- Demonstrated knowledge and understanding of student assessment and data collection and their use in optimizing the effectiveness of instructional practice and the learning experience for students.
- Demonstrated knowledge and understanding of teacher evaluation multiple measures and their use in optimizing the effectiveness of instructional practice and the learning experience for students.
- Skilled at hiring and cultivating high performing staff.
- Ability to manage complex projects to successful outcomes.
- Understanding of outcome-based performance evaluation of programs and services.
- Ability to be a team player and collaborate with others inside and outside of the educator effectiveness and professional learning team on challenging and time sensitive projects.
- Knowledge of organizational development; ability to create and lead new structures to meet division goals. Empathy and commitment to cause:
- Deep understanding of the urban school system environment and commitment to improving student achievement.
- Unwavering belief that all students can achieve at high levels.
- Passionate about creating a diverse and inclusive district and willing to challenge and engage with all constituencies in meaningful ways.
- Deep understanding of and empathy for issues facing urban families.
Communication, Interpersonal and Team skills:
- Ability to be a team player, to coach, coordinate and lead teams as well as collaborate vertically and horizontally across the organization.
- Strong verbal and written communication skills; tailors message for the audience, context, and mode of communication.
- Builds consensus and resolves conflicts; exhibits willingness to have difficult conversations.
- Skillfully navigates existing political structures/systems.
Problem solving and systems thinking:
- Innovative, forward thinker with a demonstrated competency in strategic thinking and leadership.
- Makes decisions using data and technology.
- Takes initiative to solve problems and create stakeholder buy-in.
- Offer innovative solutions to seemingly intractable problems.
- Exhibits strong focus on goals and results. Sets clear metrics for success.
- Thrives in achievement-oriented and fast-paced environment.
- Knowledge of effective change management for culture, systems and practices
- Motivates, inspires, and moves other adults to action to achieve ambitious goals.
- Skilled at re-envisioning, building, and managing a team, especially in a time of growth and change; excellent at identifying talent and taking advantage of each personís skills and contribution to team effort.
- Builds and maintains positive relationships with individuals and groups.
- Ability to be self-reflective and willing to incorporate feedback into professional learning methods.
- Builds coalitions and works collaboratively with diverse stakeholders at all levels, including but not limited to district personnel, students, families, communities, and/or advocacy groups.
Professional Responsibilities: - Believes that all students can succeed
- Advocates for equitable student access to excellent teachers
- Consistently oriented towards, and leading others to, act on what is best for kids and their teachers
- Holds oneself and others to high standards, relentlessly pursing solutions to persistent challenges
- Respects and adapts to people across all lines of differences including racial, ethnic, and other identifies
- Maximizes time and resources using effective time management and organization systems
- Solicits and eagerly receives feedback from supervisor and team members to improve professional skills
- Continuously learns and seeks new information to incorporate into professional work
Qualifications: To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skills, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions. General skills in:
- Knowledge of district landscape and efforts to expand school-based autonomy
- Experience successfully leading and managing a team of adults to accomplish goals and overcome barriers necessary for positive organizational change
- Managing multiple projects, including adapting to evolving projects
- Researching, collecting, analyzing and preparing data and generating related reports
- Working efficiently and prioritizing effectively
- Analyzing problems and recommending effective solutions
- Communicating effectively
- Engaging a variety of stakeholders
- Providing feedback and coaching adults
- Applying employment standards and procedures, federal and state rules and IPS policies
- Monitoring and controlling the confidentiality of IPS records and information
- Establishing and maintaining effective working relationships with co-workers and clients
- Providing excellent customer service
- Operating a personal computer using standard and specialized software
If you are interested in submitting your application to this position click on
the "Apply Now" button above. You must register with Eduation America Network to complete the application process.
Registration is free and only takes a few minutes. You will be asked to verify you email address. Once your email address
is verified and you complete the registration process you will be able to apply to this and other jobs posted on Education
The job posting above from Indianapolis Public Schools may require
certification levels, qualifications or eligibility requirements for
being employed in the United States or the state of Indiana. Please read the
carefully! DO NOT apply or send unsolicited resumes if you do not meet the
requirements listed by Indianapolis Public Schools in their postings.
Please quote the Education America Network
in your application to this job