Special Education (Deaf & Hard of Hearing)
School / Org:
Irving Independent School District
No. of Positions:
Tuesday, 04 December 2018
Open Until Filled
Irving Independent School District is seeking qualified applicants for the following position(s):
Itinerant Teacher - Deaf Education
Primary Purpose: Itinerant Teachers specialize in the education, communication and auditory skills development of deaf and hard of hearing individuals, age birth to 21 years. Services are provided in the individualís school, home, or alternate setting. Itinerant teachers also work with families and educational teams to ensure success in the educational environment.
Qualifications: Minimum Education/Certification: - Bachelor's degree from accredited university
- Valid Texas teaching certificate, with required deaf education endorsements
- Passing score for the TASC sign proficiency test or equivalent skills
Special Knowledge/Skills: - Knowledge of deafness and how it impacts child development
- Knowledge of Admission, Review, and Dismissal Committee process and IEP goal setting process and implementation
- Knowledge of ECI and IFSP procedures
- Consultation skills and collaboration skills
- Knowledge of assistive technology (FM systems, cochlear implants, hearing aids)
- Ability to read and interpret testing results (for example audiograms)
- Ability to read and administer communication assessments
- Knowledge of sign systems such as ASL and SEE
- Experience in working with families and young children who are sensory impaired or
- Have successful teaching and/or student teaching experience in the area of deaf education Possess an in-depth understanding of effective instructional strategies Have an understanding of and compassion for children with various learning styles
- Possess an understanding of computer functions and various technology as it relates to instruction Demonstrate effective communication, public relation, and interpersonal skills
Minimum Experience: - At least 5 years as deaf education teacher and/or parent advisor preferred.
Major Responsibilities and Duties: 1. Collaborate with families and child care providers to provide quality specialized instructional program to students with hearing impairment.
2. Collaborate with ECI providers to plan appropriate services and assessments.
3. Utilize knowledge of infant/toddler development to assist families and to create appropriate early learning environments
4. Plan and use appropriate instructional/learning strategies, activities, materials and equipment that reflect accommodations/modifications for individual needs of students assigned.
5. Attend trainings for Parent Advisors to stay current on deaf/hard of hearing laws, regulations, and techniques.
6. Participate in the Individualized Family Service Plan (IFSP) and assist with identified evaluations for child and family.
7. Assist families in understanding nature and degree of childís sensory impairment and the impact of the impairment on childís development.
8. Coordinate with other involved agencies/therapists and attend appropriate meetings as directed.
9. Write and submit developmentally appropriate weekly lesson plans.
10. Maintain working files and confidentiality of all records and information pertaining to families.
11. Submit all needed paperwork to in a timely fashion and maintain permanent files.
12. Regular attendance; must be willing and able to report to work at the designated work site on a regular daily basis according to established work schedule.
13. Prepare, attend, and participate in Admission Review and Dismissal Meetings.
14. Perform other duties as assigned by supervisor.
Special Requirements/Conditions: Travel required
Working Conditions: Mental Demands: Ability to communicate (verbal and written); ability to instruct; maintain emotional control under stress
Physical Demands/Environmental Factors: Frequent standing; stooping; bending; kneeling; pushing and pulling; regular heavy lifting of students. Biological exposure to bacteria and communicable diseases; exposure to students who may display violent behavior.
Salary Range: Per Day
If you are interested in submitting your application to this position click on
the "Apply Now" button above. You must register with Eduation America Network to complete the application process.
Registration is free and only takes a few minutes. You will be asked to verify you email address. Once your email address
is verified and you complete the registration process you will be able to apply to this and other jobs posted on Education
The job posting above from Irving Independent School District may require
certification levels, qualifications or eligibility requirements for
being employed in the United States or the state of Texas. Please read the
carefully! DO NOT apply or send unsolicited resumes if you do not meet the
requirements listed by Irving Independent School District in their postings.
Please quote the Education America Network
in your application to this job