Cedar Rapids Community Schools is seeking qualified applicants for the following position(s):
Media Specialist (.5 FTE)
Location: Kenwood Elementary School
Date Available: 2018-2019 School Year
Summary: Develop and implement a school library media program which supports learner outcomes, is integrated across content areas and maximizes resources available for teachers and students grades K-5
Elementary Classroom K-6
Elementary School Teacher Librarian K-8 or School Teacher Librarian K-12
Essential Duties for Curriculum, Instruction, & Assessment - Promote and provide assistance and instruction, training and/or support to students and staff in using a variety of resources, including various technologies and print and non-print resources.
- Provide support in the appropriate uses of technology for learning, creativity, productivity, and independent, ethical information access.
- Teach information retrieval skills: evaluating relevancy, authority, and accuracy of sources found on Internet, electronic databases and in print resources.
- Model and support professional principles of intellectual freedom and ethical use of materials.
- Teach the library curriculum as established by the district's library curriculum framework, working collaboratively with classroom teachers to integrate the curriculum into classroom activities whenever possible.
- Assist with building-level curriculum development by participating in team planning and teaching, providing instructional resource expertise and support.
- Promote and encourage reading and literature; provide reading guidance and encourage reading for both enjoyment and information.
Essential Duties for Designing Collaborative Spaces - Create a safe teaching and learning environment in the library.
- Create space for design, collaboration, creativity, quiet, and to showcase learning.
- Manage the library to ensure it is a "user friendly" environment characterized by efficient operations and a service orientation.
Essential Duties for Professional Learning - Plans with school administrators, IDS, and Building Team Leaders to provide a comprehensive program of staff development. Coordinates training of school-based staff in the use of electronic resources, multi-media creation and other library media resources.
- Work collaboratively with other district librarians to continually improve the media program and services.
- Participate in district-level meetings, in-services, committee work and curriculum writing.
- Remain current in the profession through pathways such as professional reading, associations, conference attendance, PLNs, and webinars.
Essential Duties for Leadership - Communicate library program goals and initiatives clearly with building principal(s), staff, and district library facilitator.
- Models and supports innovative thinking and practices.
- Lead, coordinate, train, and supervise library staff and volunteers.
- Communicate with parents and community on services of the library.
Essential Duties for Collection Management & Library Administration - Administer the building's library budget.
- Plan and manage the distribution and storage of all library media materials and equipment to provide maximum access to staff and students.
- Organize and maintain records of acquisitions, holdings, circulation for hardware and materials inventory, maintenance and access purposes.
- Direct collection development (selection, weeding, organization) so that the collection remains responsive to the diverse needs of the students and the curriculum.
- Eliminate obsolete materials from the collections to reflect changing curriculum needs of the building.
If you are interested in submitting your application to this position click on
the "Apply Now" button above. You must register with Eduation America Network to complete the application process.
Registration is free and only takes a few minutes. You will be asked to verify you email address. Once your email address
is verified and you complete the registration process you will be able to apply to this and other jobs posted on Education
The job posting above from Cedar Rapids Community Schools may require
certification levels, qualifications or eligibility requirements for
being employed in the United States or the state of Iowa. Please read the
carefully! DO NOT apply or send unsolicited resumes if you do not meet the
requirements listed by Cedar Rapids Community Schools in their postings.
Please quote the Education America Network
in your application to this job