School / Org:
Polk Alternative Education Center
Cedar Rapids, Iowa
No. of Positions:
Friday, 04 January 2019
Open Until Filled
Cedar Rapids Community Schools is seeking qualified applicants for the following position(s):
Secondary General Education Teacher
Location: Polk Alternative Education Center
Summary: Provides instruction to students in 6th through 12th grade.
Endorsements: Any secondary endorsement will qualify.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities: Essential duties must be performed on site. Other duties or tasks may be assigned.
- Teams with School staff to provide strategies to support and meet studentsí needs and achievement of academic goals.
- Develops and implements programming associated with core and social skills curriculum to be delivered in a classroom setting for assigned students.
- Supports and implements the district curriculum, standards and benchmarks.
- Assists Offsite School staff with strategies to support and meet studentsí needs and achievement of academic goals.
- Provides active communication and positive relationships with parents and community members, Assists in planning and delivery of social/emotional/behavioral school-wide and individual student programming.
- Satisfactorily completes Non-Violent Crisis Prevention and Intervention (CPI) training.
- Satisfactorily completes training, implements procedures, and completes documentation related to the use of safe rooms.
- Assists and collaborates with the principal, teaching and paraprofessional staff, Grant Wood Area Agency Staff, parents and students on matters pertaining to academic achievement and behavioral goals
- Maintains appropriate records and protects the confidentiality of data.
- Meets the 8 Iowa Teaching Standards and 42 criteria on a consistent basis.
- Student supervision required.
- Ensuring student safety required.
- Regular attendance.
- Attend work as scheduled and arrive on time fully prepared to begin work. Follow established building/department procedures if there is a need to arrive late, be absent or leave the workplace.
- Other duties as assigned.
Essential Functions: To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodation(s) may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Education and/or Experience: - Bachelorís degree in Education required.
- Experience in classroom teaching preferred. In addition, the specific skills/educational qualifications for this include:
LANGUAGE SKILLS: Ability to read, analyze, interpret, and implement ideas contained in technical documents, assessment data, professional journals and regulations. Ability to effectively write reports and communications to students, colleagues, parents and staff. Ability to effectively present information orally and respond to questions from administrators, teachers, staff and students. Ability to assist students in the areas of language and literacy.
MATHEMATICAL SKILLS: Ability to perform basic mathematical functions such as addition, subtraction, multiplication, division, percentages, decimals and fractions. Ability to assist students in implementing these mathematical concepts.
REASONING ABILITY: Ability to solve problems effectively. Ability to interpret a variety of instructions furnished in written, oral, diagram or schedule form.
REQUIRED DISPOSITIONS: 1. Believes that all children can attain high levels of learning.
2. Takes responsibility for the learning of our children and his/her own performance.
3. Possesses the knowledge and skills to build effective educational experiences that benefit all children.
4. Applies the principles of continuous improvement through the use of quality tools and processes.
5. Functions as an effective member of the educational/school team.
6. Wonít shy from todayís educational challenges.
7. Understands and accepts the physical risk that may be associated with working with students with behavioral issues.
8. Utilizes effective interpersonal skills.
9. Has a track record of success.
10. Works with great integrity.
OTHER SKILLS and ABILITIES: Ability to apply knowledge of current research as it relates to the support of the Educational Goals of the District. Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with students, staff and the school community. Ability to speak clearly and concisely both in oral and written communication. Ability to perform duties with awareness of all district requirements and Board of Education policies.
PHYSICAL DEMANDS: The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is frequently required to stand; walk; use hands and fingers to handle and/or feel objects, tools or controls; talk and hear. The employee frequently must squat, stoop or kneel, reach above the head and forward 0 -24 inches and on occasion up to 36 inches. The employee continuously uses hand strength to grasp items. The employee will frequently bend or twist at the neck and trunk more than the average person while performing the duties of this job. The employee must frequently lift and/or move up to 50 pounds 0 - 12 feet and occasionally up to 20 feet, such as curriculum materials, desks, chairs, and boxes. The employee will sometimes push/pull items such as tables and carts. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, color vision and the ability to adjust focus while supervising students and working with computers, written materials, reports, assessment data, etc.
WORK ENVIRONMENT: The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made too enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
The noise level in the work environment is usually quiet. The position requires the commitment of professional working hours that may require the employee to extend beyond a typical 8:00 a.m. to 4:00 p.m. workday. The employee will frequently work in different areas of the classroom including in/at desks, on or near the floor, standing, in movement while supervising indoor and outdoor activities, etc. The employee will usually work in indoor temperatures but will work outdoors when supervising students outside of the classroom.
The information contained in this job description is in compliance with the Americans with Disabilities Act (A.D.A) and is not an exhaustive list of the duties performed for this position. Additional duties are performed by the individual holding this position and additional duties may be assigned.
It is the policy of the Cedar Rapids Community School District not to illegally discriminate on the basis of race, color, national origin, gender, disability, religion, creed, age (employment only), marital status, sexual orientation, gender identity, and socioeconomic status (students/program only) in its educational programs and its employment practices. There is a grievance procedure for processing complaints of discrimination.
If you are interested in submitting your application to this position click on
the "Apply Now" button above. You must register with Eduation America Network to complete the application process.
Registration is free and only takes a few minutes. You will be asked to verify you email address. Once your email address
is verified and you complete the registration process you will be able to apply to this and other jobs posted on Education
The job posting above from Cedar Rapids Community Schools may require
certification levels, qualifications or eligibility requirements for
being employed in the United States or the state of Iowa. Please read the
carefully! DO NOT apply or send unsolicited resumes if you do not meet the
requirements listed by Cedar Rapids Community Schools in their postings.
Please quote the Education America Network
in your application to this job