Kansas City Kansas Public Schools is seeking qualified applicants for the following position(s):
ESL Newcomer Center Teacher for ESL/Migrant Program - Future Opportunities 2019/2020
Location: TBD (to be determined)
Job Goal: To provide tailored developmentally-appropriate instruction that will facilitate the acquisition of English language, literacy, and cognitive academic language foundational skills in English and content areas to a diverse, multi-leveled group of students who have limited or no previous schooling. To facilitate student comprehension and application of concepts, skills and behaviors that contribute to the development of mature, able and responsible member of society. To ensure continuous improvement in state and national performance levels to prepare students for college and careers in a global society.
Essential Functions: - Sustains an emergent/survival skills environment for learning American culture and the U.S. school system.
- Provides developmentally appropriate instruction that will facilitate the acquisition of English language, literacy, and cognitive academic language and skills.
- Plans and employs a variety of appropriate ESL instructional and learning strategies and activities which are compatible with the physical facility but serve the needs and capabilities of the students.
- Monitors and documents student progress.
- Assesses student abilities as related to desired educational goals, objectives and student outcomes.
- Maintains and submits appropriate assessment and evaluation documentation for institutions and individual reporting purposes.
- Maintains and submits appropriate records and reports.
- Serves as a student advocate for limited English proficient students in meetings with guidance counselors, content teachers, parents and administrators.
- Collaborates with core content area teachers of English Language Learners to ensure support services for these identified students.
- Possesses the patience, caring and desire needed to work with the students and parents to see that each student has the opportunity to succeed.
- Continually communicates to students and parents (either in writing or verbally) instructional expectations, student progress or lack of progress.
- Establishes and maintains effective relationships with students, parents and peers, including serving as a family advocate in the district-wide Family Advocate System.
- Implements 21st Century Skills into the curriculum.
- Manages the behavior of learners in the classroom and participate in the management of student behavior in other parts of the school.
- Actively participates in and works with other school personnel in planning effective instructional goals, objectives, methods and curriculum.
- Participates in professional growth and development activities including staff meetings, and in-service and staff development activities as required or assigned.
- Ensures that the classroom and/or instructional environment is attractive, healthful, safe and generally conducive to learning.
- Actively participates in extra-curricular activities as requested by the principal.
- Participate as a regular teacher in IEP meetings for IDEA students.
- Good knowledge of content, curriculum, methods, materials and equipment of instructional speciality to which assigned.
- Good knowledge of student growth and development applicable to the grade assigned.
- Good knowledge of school’s program of studies related to mission, goals and organization.
- Continually study and learn current research and theory.
- Ability to plan and implement lessons based on curriculum objectives and the needs and abilities of students.
- Skilled and effective in oral and written communication.
- Excellent human relations skills.
- Physical and emotional ability and dexterity to perform required work and move about as needed in the fast-paced, high-intensive work environment.
- Ability to move around the room in order to effectively monitor student work and behavior.
- Take attendance and keep attendance registers, according to Board policy.
- Know and follow Section 504 and IDEA amendments.
- Be courteous and professional at all times.
- Maintain a neat and professional appearance.
- Other duties as assigned.
Qualifications: Must hold certification in appropriate teaching grade level and content area:
Elementary: Elementary certification plus ESL endorsement
High School: Grade level appropriate (9-12) ESL endorsement
Must hold a Kansas ESL license.
Must have 3-5 years of successful classroom experience in schools with high ESL population
Meets the employment qualifications set forth by the Kansas City, Kansas Board of Education and the Kansas State Department of Education.
Kansas teaching certificate in area of instructional responsibility.
Preferred Qualifications: Background experience in one or more of the following categories: emergent literacy development, sheltered instruction, cognitive academic language learning approach, cooperative learning, writing process and reading.
Experience as an ESOL classroom teacher (experience with refugee students preferred).
Communication: Maintains communication with teachers, other school personnel, and parents/guardians to enhance cooperative action which will meet the educational needs of students.
Compiles data for statistical purposes.
Maintains confidentiality regarding educational records.
Reasoning Ability: Ability to solve practical problems and deal with a variety of concrete variables in situations where only limited standardization exists. Ability to interpret a variety of instructions furnished in written, oral, diagram, or schedule form.
Language Skills: Ability to read and analyze and interpret general professional journals, technical procedures, or governmental regulations. Ability to write reports, general curriculum and learning theories, correspondence, and protocols. Ability to effectively present information and respond to questions from groups of administrators, staff, parents, students, and the general public.
Terms of Employment: 186 days
Salary: Based on KCKPS Salary Schedule
FLSA Status: EXEMPT
Reports To: Director, ESL/Principal
Evaluation: Performance will be evaluated in accordance with Board of Education policy
Primary Location: TBD
Salary Range: Per Year
Shift Type: Full-Time
If you are interested in submitting your application to this position click on
the "Apply Now" button above. You must register with Eduation America Network to complete the application process.
Registration is free and only takes a few minutes. You will be asked to verify you email address. Once your email address
is verified and you complete the registration process you will be able to apply to this and other jobs posted on Education
The job posting above from Kansas City Kansas Public Schools may require
certification levels, qualifications or eligibility requirements for
being employed in the United States or the state of Kansas. Please read the
carefully! DO NOT apply or send unsolicited resumes if you do not meet the
requirements listed by Kansas City Kansas Public Schools in their postings.
Please quote the Education America Network
in your application to this job