Indianapolis Public Schools is seeking qualified applicants for the following position(s):
Social Studies Teacher
Location or Department: Northwest Middle School
Summary: The teacher will plan, carry out, evaluate, and supervise instructional activities in Social Studies for groups and individual middle / high school students. The teacher will also advise students in community internships, work experience, and academic activities.
License: Must hold valid Indiana State Teacher's License in Social Studies grades 7-12 or be eligible for a license.
Experience: Extensive training in and knowledge of current Social Studies instructional techniques – Demonstrated effective teaching and computer skills – Experience Honors Social Studies instruction preferred.
Major Responsibilities: • Work with other teachers to develop and organize a project-based social studies curriculum that meets state, district, and school standards.
• Use rubric-based authentic assessment methods to evaluate student progress and adapt individual programs to meet student needs.
• Maintain current and complete project briefcases, calendars, journals, and online records.
• Use procedures to post syllabus, projects/lessons, and grades to the server accessible to students, parents, and community.
• Maintain a classroom environment consistent with established codes of conduct and conducive to positive learning.
• Establish and maintain excellent rapport with students, parents, staff members, and community members.
• Work cooperatively with other personnel to improve instructional programs and the overall operation of the school.
• Supervise classroom aides and volunteers effectively, when appropriate.
• Attend and participate in required in-service activities and assist in planning and conducting such activities.
• Communicate electronically with students, parents, and other staff members concerning student academic progress, attendance, and behavior.
• Participate in team meetings, PLC meetings, and meetings called by supervisor.
• Perform other duties as assigned.
Supervisory Responsibilities: None
Language Skills: Ability to read and comprehend simple instructions, short correspondence, and memos. Ability to effectively present information in one-on-one, small group, and large group situations.
Mathematical Skills: Ability to add, subtract, multiply, and divide in all units of measure, using whole numbers, common fractions, and decimals. Ability to compute rate, ratio, and percent and to draw and interpret bar graphs.
Reasoning Ability: Ability to apply common sense understanding to carry out detailed but written or oral instructions. Ability to deal with problems involving a few concrete variables in standardized situations.
Physical Demands: The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to sit and use hands to find, handle, or feel. The employee frequently is required to talk or hear. The employee is required to stand; walk; reach with hands and arms; climb or balance; and stoop, kneel, crouch, or crawl. The employee must frequently lift and/or move up to 20 pounds and occasionally lift and/or move up to 50 pounds. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, depth perception, and ability to adjust focus.
Work Environment: The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is occasionally exposed to wet and humid conditions and outside weather conditions. The noise level in the work environment is usually moderate.
Disclaimer: The above job description is designed to denote the general nature and level of work performed by employees within this classification. It is not designed to contain or be interpreted as a comprehensive inventory of all duties, responsibilities, and qualifications of employees assigned to this job.
If you are interested in submitting your application to this position click on
the "Apply Now" button above. You must register with Eduation America Network to complete the application process.
Registration is free and only takes a few minutes. You will be asked to verify you email address. Once your email address
is verified and you complete the registration process you will be able to apply to this and other jobs posted on Education
The job posting above from Indianapolis Public Schools may require
certification levels, qualifications or eligibility requirements for
being employed in the United States or the state of Indiana. Please read the
carefully! DO NOT apply or send unsolicited resumes if you do not meet the
requirements listed by Indianapolis Public Schools in their postings.
Please quote the Education America Network
in your application to this job