Special Education Teacher
Alexandria City Public Schools is seeking applicants for the following position:
Special Education Teacher (2020-21)
The Special Education Teacher develops special education students' success in academics, interpersonal skills and activities of daily living by implementing district approved curriculum; documenting teaching and student progress/activities, outcomes; addressing students' specific needs; providing a safe and optimal learning environment; and providing feedback to students, parents and administration regarding student progress, expectations, goals, etc. This job reports to Principal.
• Education: Bachelor's degree; Master's degree preferred.
• Certificates & Licenses: Valid Virginia Department of Education License with an endorsement in Special Education, or eligibility to obtain one.
• Compensation: This position qualifies for an additional step placement on the Licensed Salary Scale under the umbrella of Specialized Instruction.
• Adapts classroom work to provide students with instructional materials that address individualized learning plans within established lesson plans.
• Administers developmental testing programs, subject specific assessments, etc. to assess student competency levels and/or develop individual learning plans.
• Advises parents and/or legal guardians of student progress to communicate expectations; student's achievements; develop methods for improvement and/or reinforce classroom goals in the home environment.
• Assesses student progress towards objectives, expectations, and/or goals and provides feedback to students, parents and administration.
• Collaborates with instructional staff, other school personnel, parents and a variety of community resources to improve the overall quality of student outcomes and achieve established classroom objectives in support of the school improvement plan.
• Counsels students to improve performance, health status, problem solving techniques and a variety of personal issues.
• Demonstrates methods required to perform classroom and/or subject specific assignments to provide an effective program that addresses individual student requirements.
• Directs assistant teachers, student teachers, instructional assistants, volunteers and/or student workers to provide an effective classroom program and address the needs of individual students.
• Instructs students to improve their success in academic, interpersonal and daily living skills through a defined course of study.
• Manages student behavior to provide a safe and optimal learning environment.
• Monitors students in a variety of educational environments (e.g. classroom, playground, field trips, nap times, etc.) to provide a safe and positive learning environment.
• Participates in a variety of meetings to convey and/or gather information required to perform functions.
• Prepares a variety of written materials (e.g. grades, attendance, anecdotal records, etc.) to document student progress and meet mandated requirements.
• Reports incidents (e.g. fights, suspected child abuse, suspected substance abuse, etc.) to maintain personal safety of students, provide a positive learning environment and adhere to Education Code and school policies.
• Performs other related duties, as assigned, to ensure the efficient and effective functioning of the work unit.
If you are interested in submitting your application to this position click on
the "Apply Now" button above. You must register with Eduation America Network to complete the application process.
Registration is free and only takes a few minutes. You will be asked to verify you email address. Once your email address
is verified and you complete the registration process you will be able to apply to this and other jobs posted on Education
The job posting above from Alexandria City Public Schools may require
certification levels, qualifications or eligibility requirements for
being employed in the United States or the state of Virginia. Please read the
carefully! DO NOT apply or send unsolicited resumes if you do not meet the
requirements listed by Alexandria City Public Schools in their postings.
Please quote the Education America Network
in your application to this job